We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Insurance

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car Insurance

How have other Americans covered themselves with insurance while renting a car in Iceland? Our auto insurance covers us in only the U.S. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,290 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Insurance

Your credit Card may cover you. See the many many threads in the past week or so discussing these options.

Your home auto insurance coverage totally depends on what coverage you have and what your company covers. Every situation is different.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 06:39
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Insurance

Will look at the other threads...thank you!

Canada
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Insurance

They buy insurance from the car company.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Insurance

Math Lady is correct. I am in the same position. My own auto insurance, my household insurance, and my credit card will not cover the insurance for vehicle rental in Iceland. That’s the way it is in my situation. I will be buying the insurance I think I need for my trip, bearing in mind that the cost of car repairs and replacement are astronomically high in Iceland.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,290 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Insurance

That's how it worked for us, too.

But we did find out that AAA covered most of the costs of a tow truck we needed in Iceland, much to our delight.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Washington
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Insurance

Those of us in the United States can get full coverage, no deductible, through our credit cards. Every card is different, though, so you would want to verify.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Insurance

Interesting that AAA covered a tow truck in Europe. This morning, I thought about contacting them about supplemental. I know one of our credit cards covers us though. But somehow, I don't feel comfortable with that.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Insurance

We habe the good fortune to have FÍB, The Icelandic Automobile Association https://www.fib.is/is

They are associated with FIA, AA, AAA, ARC and other similar touring and vehicle clubs for a long time. Show Your Card cardholders have multinational benefits. Small details available in english on their site.

Mentioned in this post
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,262 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Insurance

Thank you Rikki and Northern Travler, I would not have thought of bringing my CAA card. It usually works anywhere AAA works.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,290 posts
628 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Insurance

We didn't bring the card with us. We got a receipt for the tow and repair (the problem was through our doing so we were responsible) and we sent it to AAA when we got home with a translation. About a month later we got a check in the mail from them for about 80% of the tow portion of the bill (which was the biggest part as we were an hour away from civilization). I did not ask them how they calculated the payment, just was grateful to get anything back.

Reply to: Car Insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;