We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hlemmur matholl: worth it for the restaurants?

Toronto
Level Contributor
298 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hlemmur matholl: worth it for the restaurants?

I'm trying not to concede defeat at the hands of Iceland food costs.

I'm curious if the food (or groceries) at Hlemmur Matholl are somewhat budget-friendly and/or worth eating at?

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
4 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hlemmur matholl: worth it for the restaurants?

Looks like about $24 CDN for two burgers and two fries. About $4 more than Five Guys is here. And I don’t spend that every day here either.

I dunno. I just go to Bonus and buy groceries and make our own when in Iceland. It’s way cheaper than that.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hlemmur matholl: worth it for the restaurants?

Hi. I passed that place several times since it was at a major bus stop- Hlemmur which was close to my accomodation. I did not go in. But I did look at its website and the prices of the food being sold. Kinda expensive. Since you asked about budget friendly, I can say that Bonus supermarket should be your first choice followed by Kronan.

If you want the best bang for your money, try Veislumidstodin. They only serve lunch from 1130-130 pm. Price is 2170 Isk. A little over $20 usd. But you do get a lot of food! And good food at that. I just wrote a review and it will be published in probably a day or two.

I was very very satisfied with the place. Good bang for the buck.

When you consider this is what I paid for the other budget places- Myrin Mathus (buffet-?) 2990 (variable price for their buffet hence the ?,), Fish and Chips Vaginn- 1990 (no drinks) Icelandic Street Food- 2160 for a bread soup bowl with butter and no drinks;

Svarta Kaffid for another soup bread bowl for 1950; Can't find the receipt for Noodle House but I believe it was 2000 isk for a noodle and a soda. 700 isk for a hotdog from Baejerins and another 700 from the hotdog place (was comparing them both) .

Mentioned in this post
Fish and Chips
Fish and Chips
240 Reviews
Husavik, Iceland
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,268 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Svarta Kaffid
Svarta Kaffid
2,621 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,916 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hlemmur matholl: worth it for the restaurants?

If you want less expensive places to eat in Reykjavík check out Noodle Station, Krua Thai, Icelandic Street Food, Kebab House or Svarta Kaffið.

Mentioned in this post
Noodle Station
Noodle Station
1,258 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Krua Thai
Krua Thai
387 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,268 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hlemmur matholl: worth it for the restaurants?

Hlemmur Mathöll is really good for street food. They were inspired by Copenhagen's paper island. You can find burritos, Vietnamese food, a really good bakery, coffee, fish, ice cream. A second Mathöll just opened in Grandi.

Reply to: Hlemmur matholl: worth it for the restaurants?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted