We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland in 1 day

Bethesda, Maryland
11 posts
Save Topic
Iceland in 1 day

I will be in Keflavík for only one day with my 9-year old son. He is excited about seeing Iceland. What are some things we can see in only one day? Any ideas for guided tours would be great!

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
9 replies to this topic
Bethesda, Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland in 1 day

I will get there on July 2nd.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland in 1 day

Please give is your arrival time and departure time, and also whether you are willing to drive. Do you have accommodation booked? Does your son like swimming? Is he an animal lover? Is he interested in volcanoes and such?

Options may be limited as many choices are already booked up, but give your info and peo0le here will try to help you.

Bethesda, Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland in 1 day

We land at 10:30 am and have all day to explore. Yes, my son loves animals and volcanoes! I reserved a hotel (Berg Hotel) by the airport. If there are any better options please let me know. Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Berg
Hotel Berg
867 Reviews
Keflavik, Iceland
Bethesda, Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland in 1 day

We leave the next day (July 3rd) early in the morning.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland in 1 day

The airport is located on the Reykjanes Peninsula, an area that shows evidence of much volcanic activit, some very recently , and there is a tour that will pick up and drop off at the airport. You and your son will see immense lava fields with different shapes, volcanic cone shapes, and probably steaming vents and bubbling pots. Along that route, there are some small farms where you might also see some Icelandic horses and sheep with their lambs. If you stop along the tour route where there are horses near the fence, the animals are friendly and not mean. If you mention to the driver that the boy would like to see them, you never know..

You would also have time for a soak in some geothermal water. The Blue Lagoon is famous and near the airport. It’s not cheap but kids receive a reduced admission. Those two things would fill your time. I would contact your hotel for advice about how to arrange for a Reykjanes tour and a trip to the Blue Lagoon. If they can’t help you, come back here for suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Reykjanes Peninsula
Reykjanes Peninsula
78 Reviews
Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,682 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iceland in 1 day

Pursue the Blue Lagoon info ASAP. You have to book it in advance, and there is the issue of how to get from the hotel to the Lagoon. If the hotel can advise you that transport is available, book the Lagoon asap (unless your son would hate it).

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,682 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Bethesda, Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iceland in 1 day

Yes, he would love all of your suggestions! I will contact the hotel. Thank you so much for all your help!!

Bethesda, Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Iceland in 1 day

Is the Blue Lagoon experience better in the morning or afternoon / night? They are booked out between 9 am - 2 pm.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,682 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
10,930 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iceland in 1 day

With the long daylight hours right now it won't really make a difference.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 14:55
Reply to: Iceland in 1 day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted