We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camper Vans -advice needed

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Camper Vans -advice needed

If I go to Iceland this summer, it could be next week June 17ish or possibly mid to end of July.

On such short notice, I know and finding out, lodging is difficult.

I have been reading about CamperVans.

Is there a good way to figure out which are the preferred companies?

There are 2 of us.

If I don't get one that can access F-roads, are there other ways to get to those places?

Or is there enough to see and just do the F-road attractions on another trip?

What type of Insurance do I get? Will American Express car insurance cover what I need. The one if you charge the car with Am. Express it offers you coverage.

I also read you do not need an International Drivers Licence. that's good!

Edited: 12 June 2018, 13:41
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
3 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camper Vans -advice needed

Are there different companies that offer campervans that are:

Automatic drive?

Have heating capabilities while sleeping?

Come with sleeping bags?

What type of Insurance to get? I've read some horror stories.

Boston...
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
629 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camper Vans -advice needed

There are many threads here recommending the different Camper van companies. Put 'camper van' in the search box to read it all.

On such short notice you might have trouble finding one, or finding one that suits your needs such as Automatic Transmission, as most folks book their Iceland trips many months in advance. All those things you want are available . . . if you book in advance. On short notice you may need to tent camp.

Iceland is extremely enjoyable without visiting an F Road. I've driven on 2 of them in 4 visits and although they were spectacular, so was everything else.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camper Vans -advice needed

Email Snail and see if they have any availability. They may not on such short notice but we found them very responsive to emails and recommend them as a company. They are a smaller, family owned company and the vans are a little older (hence a bit less expensive). We have no complaints. Sleeping bags and blankets are included. You may want to research this yourself but my credit card company was not an insurance option as they classify campervans like an RV and so it is not covered in the way a regular, passenger car would be. When renting a car in Europe, I decline the insurances so that my credit card would cover anything. I don't believe that is the case with a campervan but you should contact your credit card company to find out. We purchased all the additional insurances through Snail in order to have peace of mind.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Reply to: Camper Vans -advice needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;