We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
96 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

Friends - was originally planning on an overnight stop at Vik before heading out to Hofn from Reyjavik. However accommodations in Vik are sparse/expensive and I'm considering driving directly to Hofn if possible.

Can I drive from Reyjavik to Hofn directly with a few pit stops at (Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Reynisfjara)? I'm assuming a 10hr drive day - 6hrs drive + 4hrs for attractions etc.

Recommendations welcome...

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Seljalandsfoss
Seljalandsfoss
2,078 Reviews
South Region, Iceland
Reynisfjara Beach
Reynisfjara Beach
1,226 Reviews
Vik, Iceland
14 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

Reykjavík to Höfn will be about 8-9 hours of pure driving plus any stops you may want to make for food, fuel, sights, toilet breaks etc. Don't calculate with more than 60 km/h in Iceland, since you will have to slow down in villages or for one-lane bridges, may have trucks or slower vehicles in front of you, plus inclement weather may slow you down considerably.

I would only do this if you don't plan any longer activities for that day, are happy with short photo stops at the sights and have two drivers to share the driving. You should also be fully rested and alert when you start driving.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

When are you travelling?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

Good question, Hildur. My reply is only valid for summer driving.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
96 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

Thanks for the helpful responses. I'm traveling in August. Planning on a few stops from Reyjavik to Vik.

Not sure if there are any 'must-see' attractions en route Vik to Hofn.

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

You can easily spend 2-3 days in the areas with the sights and activities available, so you will have to pick and choose:

Between Vík and Höfn there are several waterfalls, tours to the Laki eruption craters, Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon, all the hiking trails and glacier activities from Skaftafell, puffin tractor tours, Fjallsárlón and Jökulsárlón glacier lagoons with boat and kayak tour options etc.

En route to Vík there is the Reykjadalur geothermal river hike, horse riding options, plenty of beautiful waterfalls, the Lava Center, the Westman Islands, side excursions into the Highlands to Landamannalaugar or Þórsmörk, snowmobiling, glacier hiking, ziplining, atv driving, Dyrhólaey promontory, Reynisfjara black sand beach and basalt columns etc.

It depends on what is must-see or do for you. That is an incredibly individual choice.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Laki
Hotel Laki
630 Reviews
Efri-Vik, Iceland
Skaftafell
Skaftafell
Vatnajokull National Park, Iceland
Reynisfjara Beach
Reynisfjara Beach
1,226 Reviews
Vik, Iceland
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,970 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

Kim got about two thirds of the attractions in between.

It's one of my favorite parts of Iceland.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

I am probably a more leisurely paced tourist for sure, and I had 15 days on the ground, but for example:

At Jokulsarlon, I did a guided kayaking tour (1.5 hours plus 20 min on both ends for prep, equipment return etc), then I ducked in and had some soup and bread at the cafe on site while I browsed my photos, then I just wandered and took more photos, then drove across the bridge and parked and walked down the beach and back on the trail to the parking lot. I think all together I was there close to four hours?

I know that's a lot of time and not everyone would want to or be able to do that - but I think people underestimate how much time they'll want at these sites to really savor them. Everywhere I went there seemed to be a path headed somewhere new and enticing. :)

I don't know how many days you have but having just returned from a ring road trip, I can barely imagine Reykjavik to Hofn in one day trying to fit all that south coast stuff in.

And I am on west coast time so I packed a lot into the day - I rarely wanted to sleep before 1 am (and it never got dark so I could do stuff as late as I wanted).

Edited: 12 June 2018, 23:31
Mentioned in this post
Jokulsarlon
Jokulsarlon
East Region, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

R.vík to höfn is 450 Km., about 5.5 hours direct, non stop drive. This is often done as one day tour. Of course this means you have to skip many interesting stops, but that has to be your choice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

Honestly Vik to Hofn is the most scenic part of Iceland - Skaftafell and Jokulsarlon

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Skaftafell
Skaftafell
Vatnajokull National Park, Iceland
Jokulsarlon
Jokulsarlon
East Region, Iceland
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
96 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)

Totally agree about the most scenic part. Unfortunately, can't get any hotel in Vik -- the closest hotel I got near Vik is in Hvolsvollur. So my drive is now from Hvolsvollur to Hofn.

Mentioned in this post
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Hvolsvollur
Hvolsvollur
South Region, Iceland
Hofn
Hofn
East Region, Iceland
Reply to: Reyjavik to Hofn (skipping overnight stop at Vik)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted