We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with bus from Thorsmork to Hvolsvollur

USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
help with bus from Thorsmork to Hvolsvollur

I am trying to buy a bus ticket from Thorsmork to Hvolsvollur at the end of our Fimmvorduhals trek, but confused with the different options. I can buy a ticket from Thorsmork Basar, Thorsmork Langidalur, or Thosmork Húsadalur. I can't seem to find any information about the difference between these 3 stops. Which one do I want after the Fimmvorduhals trek?

Our plan is to spend the night in Hvolsvollur, drive our car to Skogar to start the trek early in the morning. Leave car in Skogar while we trek. When we finish the trek take the afternoon/evening bus from Thorsmork back to Hvolsvollur to go back to our hotel. We will pick up our car the next morning.

thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
Hvolsvollur
Hvolsvollur
South Region, Iceland
Skogar
Skogar
South Region, Iceland
Golden Circle Classic Day Trip from...
2,141 Reviews
US$70 per adult
Free Cancellation
Southern Iceland Glaciers, Waterfalls...
558 Reviews
US$90 per adult
Free Cancellation
Golden Circle, Kerid Volcanic Crater...
214 Reviews
US$155 per adult
Free Cancellation
4 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with bus from Thorsmork to Hvolsvollur

Once down from the Fimmvörðuháls hike you reach Básar first. You need to hike about 30 minutes more and cross a couple of foot bridges over Krossá river to reach Langidalur. If you want to hike all the way to Húsadalur you need to add another 20 minutes to the hike.

https://en.ja.is/kort/… If this link appears properly you should see Básar in the bottom rh corner and Langidalur in the upper lh corner. Húsadalur is off the maps but you can Click+hold+slide the map in any way you want. Húsadalur is underneath the white box in the upper lh corner.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with bus from Thorsmork to Hvolsvollur

If you zoom in more you even see the footbridges at the valleybottom (marked as red dotted hiking trail). *However*, these bridges are on wheels and have to be relocated every year - so they are probably not anymore where this map is showing. I do know the bridges have been moving downstream (left) in recent years and the trail is relabeled every spring with it's road markers (wooden + yellow painted top). Details can also be obtained from rangers at Básar.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 06:45
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with bus from Thorsmork to Hvolsvollur

You will arive at Básar first, so that would be the easiest pick-up spot.

USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with bus from Thorsmork to Hvolsvollur

thank you both for this information. That is very helpful. I will probably just get the bus from Basar, unless we will be missing anything spectacular by not going all the way to Langidalur? We are doing this hike all in one day, and trying to coordinate transportation to Skogar and from Thorsmork which is requiring some tight schedules.

Mentioned in this post
Skogar
Skogar
South Region, Iceland
Reply to: help with bus from Thorsmork to Hvolsvollur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted