We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?

My fiance and I are planning a trip to Iceland in September 2019. I understand that as it stands, my two children (ages 7 & 6) will need ECE 44/04 compliant car seats with the ISOFIX system. They currently use Graco Turbo Booster seats here at home in the US. My question is this: can they use booster seats in Iceland, and if so, where can I buy them outside of the US? It is not realistic or feasible for us to wait until we get there to buy two of them, which can easily exceed 10.000 ISK each in some instances.

I tried finding them on European sites, but the shipping was outrageous. Some sites can't even deliver such products to the US, such as with Amazon.co.uk. If I cannot find suitable seating for my children, then Iceland will be out as a travel destination.

6 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,396 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?

If you are planning to rent a car, have you asked the rental car company? They should be able to supply car seats for your kids.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?

i was in Iceland for a ring road trip in late May to June 2018. We rented our car from Bluecar and they provided the booster seat for my 5 years old boy for free. You can consider renting the vehicle from them too. They are friendly,professional, service oriented and their cars are in good condition, though not the cheapest in Iceland. Enjoy your Iceland tour and travel safe!

Medellin
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?

We rented as well from Bluecar to ensure the correct system for our 2 year old.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?

note that there are two standards around:

- the current ECE-R 44 (03/04), which will still be valid for the forseeable future and depends on childrens' weight

- the 'new' ECE-R 129, which is meant to be valid worldwide (alas the US are not taking part...) and will at some point replace R 44, and which depends on childrens' height. this standard is sometimes labeled 'i-size' for its better memorability

for R 44, Isofix is optional, for R 129, it is mandatory

I have had mixed experiences with renting child seats from rental agencies: sometimes cheap, scruffy, low-quality seats, usually without a detailed mounting instruction. given that the faulty mounting of a seat and incorrect securing of children -as it can easily and unintentionally happen with an unfamiliar seat- poses a high risk in the case of an incident, personally we always prefer bringing our own seats, which we are familiar with how to use and know the quality, especially since many airlines (including Icelandair and Wow, afaik) will carry them for free. I have experienced getting decent child seats as well, but I have gotten tired of the surprises.

booster seats (with back) are wholly acceptable, I would however feel slightly uneasy with those no-back booster seats you usually get offered from rental agencies, as these indeed provide only very basic protection.

maybe you can get ECE-R 129 compliant seats from Canada?

two links:

https:/…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?

You can hire them with your hire car or bring your own. Most airlines won't charge you extra for bringing things for children like booster seats, strollers etc. We brought our own and we attached it to our plane seat and our toddler sat in it during the flight.

Here's some general info about travel in Iceland which might help you with your travel plans- enjoy!

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?

Since the regulations are basically copy/paste from the European Union (Iceland being a part of the European Economic Community) then not only would Iceland be off your list but all of Europe too.

If your present boosters can be fitted into vehicles with standard 3-point safety belts, then you could bring them along. The rules and regulations are more based around the import and selling of booster-chairs and on what people that reside here use. I don’t think Customs officials are actively stopping tourists entering the country with their booster-seats from home.

Reply to: What car seat do my children need, and where can I buy them?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted