Hello, I am in the very beginning stages of planning a 10 day trip from Detroit to Iceland for May 2019. Any advice you can offer to help in my planning would be greatly appreciated!
(1) I can see there are 2 airports in Iceland, "KEF-Keflavik Intl" and "RKV-Reykjavik Domestic". I was a bit confused by the "domestic/international" designations. Are both airports an option to fly to from Detroit?
(2) To limit driving time and maximize time available to enjoy the sights, I am thinking i would need to arrange accommodations in 3 different locations, for 3 nights at each location. Would this work?
(3) Can someone recommend local tour operators to set up a couple of organized excursions?
(4) Any advice on clothing and other gear necessary in May?
(5) Lastly, i have seen a few lists of what is not to be missed, but any advice on that would be appreciated. We are a family of 4, 2 boys ages 22 and 18. We love nature, hiking, photography.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond!