We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
227 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

Hello, I am in the very beginning stages of planning a 10 day trip from Detroit to Iceland for May 2019. Any advice you can offer to help in my planning would be greatly appreciated!

(1) I can see there are 2 airports in Iceland, "KEF-Keflavik Intl" and "RKV-Reykjavik Domestic". I was a bit confused by the "domestic/international" designations. Are both airports an option to fly to from Detroit?

(2) To limit driving time and maximize time available to enjoy the sights, I am thinking i would need to arrange accommodations in 3 different locations, for 3 nights at each location. Would this work?

(3) Can someone recommend local tour operators to set up a couple of organized excursions?

(4) Any advice on clothing and other gear necessary in May?

(5) Lastly, i have seen a few lists of what is not to be missed, but any advice on that would be appreciated. We are a family of 4, 2 boys ages 22 and 18. We love nature, hiking, photography.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond!

traveladdict

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Keflavik Intl Airport
Keflavik Intl Airport
Reykjanes Peninsula, Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
11 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

1/ From Detroit you will land at Keflavik.

2. Yes that would work if you are driving yourself but organized tours do not pick up in every small town/village.

Mentioned in this post
Keflavik
Keflavik
Reykjanesbaer, Iceland
Boston...
Level Contributor
20,659 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

You should put aside an hour and skim this board to get all the info you need about tour companies, clothing, etc. You will quickly see that these questions are asked and answered constantly

What is Not to be Missed is truly different for each visitor.

Edited: 24 July 2018, 00:56
L R
Level Contributor
314 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

We have just returned from a 10 day trip. We rented a car and drove the ring road. My husband and I took my 84 year old mom and her 88 year old friend and they wanted to not do many 1 night stays so we stayed the first three nights in Hella, the next two in Höfn, one is Seydisfjordur, two in Akureyri and two in Reykjavík. For the most part this worked well, but we did some back tracking.

If you are driving yourself, you can figure out what excursions your group would like to do. Our favorites were a superjeep tour onto the glacier and the glacier lagoon boat at Jökulsárlón.

Most important is clothes you can layer and excellent rain gear including waterproof pants!

Mentioned in this post
Hella
Hella
South Region, Iceland
Seydisfjordur
Seydisfjordur
East Region, Iceland
Akureyri
Akureyri
Northeast Region, Iceland
4. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 July 2018, 07:05

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

As mentioned above, if you do more than 1-2 nights in one place, you do a lot of backtracking. You can get away with 2-3 nights in Reyk if you use it as a base to do the city, the Golden Circle, and a day trip up to the Snaefellsness peninsula perhaps. But other than that, it's a lot of wasted time driving back and forth because most of the sights (and certainly the ones accessible in May) are right along the Ring Road.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
561 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Ring Road
Ring Road
137 Reviews
Iceland
Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
227 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

Northern_Traveler00, thank you for your response. My post was specifically for a May vacation. I wanted to hear from people who had gone before during this time of year, and for this duration (10 days). One hour is not enough to look through the Iceland forum; I am spending time daily trying to learn as much as possible so that i can plan my trip.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
227 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

mathladyca49, L R and MooreUSA, thank you for your responses!

Boston...
Level Contributor
20,659 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

May, June, July, August. The answers are the same and there is this great resource in front of you of already collected advice. Use it.

Edited: 27 July 2018, 03:54
Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
227 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

Northern_Traveler00 thank you again for your response. If you don't have the time to help me, that is absolutely fine, but please don't patronize me. I have been travelling around the world for decades now, and know very well how to do my research. Because of my experience i know that a 5 day vacation is very different than a 10 day vacation, so like I said before, I was hoping for answers from fellow travelers who did a similar trip around that time of year. Clothes and equipment needed in one month may not be needed in another month, so I doubt that a May vacation and an August vacation are the same.

Boston...
Level Contributor
20,659 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019

I understand that you want to reinvent the wheel, or be given a fish, while the wheel has already been invented and this forum is full of fish.

Use the search function and you will easily and thoroughly find all you need to know.

Reply to: Advice needed - planning a 10day trip to Iceland in May 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted