We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

Orange County
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

Hello,

Now that I've settled on my itinerary for Aug 2019, I'm looking into hotels to book (we are a family of 4 with 2 children ages 5, 8). I'm looking for clean, convenient, breakfast included if possible and I know I'll be paying more than Airbnb or camping sites but that's ok. Here's what I've reserved so far and the costs per night in USD:

Reykjavik Lights $328/night

Hotel Husafell $581/night

South Central Motel (near Selfoss) $187/night - no breakfast

The Garage (near Skogar) $324/night - no breakfast

Fosshotel Nupar (Kirkjubaejarklaustur) $374/night

Black Sands Suites (Vik - waiting to book, not yet open for bookings yet) likely $350/night range, no breakfast

Are these fairly reasonable or are they a bit higher since it is over a year in advance? Most of them will be slightly cheaper if I pay now and lock down the reservation (these prices have free cancellation). I know it's summer and high season, and if this is the best I can expect, I can just rest assured and stop checking prices. (I do notice that they have summer promotions and discounts sometimes on their websites so I don't want to jump the gun either).

Thanks for your input!

15 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

Good question. I'm hoping to also go August 2019 and have been wondering the same thing.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
290 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

A quick check on Expedia shows rooms for this August are available at Hotel Husafell starting at $296 for a "standard double room"; a "holiday villa" is $661. That's just one month away - so either the price(s) you're looking at for next year are really high, or you're getting a good deal on a villa :)

It's a dangerous game to play, especially if the places you're looking at are in popular locations. I started planning last fall for our 2 week trip this September, and once I got over the sticker shock (wow!) I started booking - and saving. Now we leave in 5 weeks and our hotels are all paid for, so we can enjoy it w/o pinching pennies and having regrets. You've got a year to save up for your trip, start now and it won't sting too much

Orange County
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

I know. The advertised prices are sometimes deceiving because they are for 2 people in a standard double. But since we are a party of four, they automatically default us to a villa. I just checked and yes, hotel Husafell is a villa so I guess that’s a good price but maybe I should ask to see if we could be moved to a triple.

If you feel the prices are pretty on par with the usual high season prices, I can relax a little and just let it sink in a little! :)

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
290 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

It didn't take long to realize that this trip wouldn't be a cheap one. So yeah if/when that reality sinks in you can breathe easier and take the plunge. I would agree that talking to the hotels and exploring your options might save a buck, such as adding an extra bed vs upgrading to a suite. I think all the ones we're staying at include breakfast which helps for sure.

I know you said you preferred hotels, but for similar prices you can probably find a whole house or apt to rent instead on Airbnb. Yeah you'd have to make your own breakfast (or go out) but if you're not rushing that might not be so bad a tradeoff for comfort and convenience

Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

I've been looking at AirBnB and Booking.com. Lots of neat options in AirBnB but if I understand correctly they charge you right away whereas booking.com won't usually charge you until check in. This is a big deal wfor someone a year away from the trip (and still saving up) but wants to make lodging reservations now. Also it appears that if you cancel the AirBnB reservation that they will still collect their service fee. so far I'm electing to reserve on booking.com and as the trip gets closer and I've saved up for things then I may switch some reservations to AirBnB.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
290 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

Some (all?) Airbnb hosts have an option to pay half now and the other half shortly before you travel, I know that's what we did. But I get your point, and don't blame you at all for making hotel reservations in advance just to cover yourself. I did the same thing when I first started planning, made multiple reservations until I was sure and also switched a couple of the destinations to Airbnb's.

Orange County
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Airbnb when it gets a little closer. I do feel better knowing I'll have nice places to stay as of now. The one that really hurts is Hotel Husafell. I moved from a cabin to a hotel room including breakfast and it's now $671/night..ok, gotta get used to that price. But then the hotel informs me that my booking says 2 adults only and to add 2 children, it's another 100 euros! (but my confirmation states 4 guests! I'm contacting booking.com on this one). I'm trying to find another accommodation in the area, but it appears they have a monopoly on the area! Maybe Airbnb will be the answer here. Does anyone know of a good alternative in the Husafell area?

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
290 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

Fosshotel Reykholt is about 15 miles away, we've got a reservation (breakfast included) there during our trip. The ratings are good and the price is certainly lower than Hotel Husafell. There's not much else in that area but Hraunfossar and Husafell are just 15-20 minutes away

Edited: 25 July 2018, 20:52
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
20 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

I made reservations (from booking.com) for my August 2018 trip in January 2018.

2 weeks ago (mid-July 2018) I managed to find 20-30% lower prices in the same or other establishments for most of my reservations.

For example, Reykjavik Lights was initially booked for 175, now rebooked for 140

Myvatn hotel was booked for 200, now rebooked for 155. And I can still find a lower price if I pay up-front.

Hella Hotel was booked for 160, now rebooked for 125.

I'd suggest you make all necessary reservations for your trip (with free cancellation) and revisit them periodically for lower prices. There are some places (especially in the South) that fill up quickly and have no alternatives, but in most of them you'll get a chance for a better price.

Edited: 25 July 2018, 21:23
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?

Nick...that is very useful. What is the rebooking process with booking .com? Did you cancel the existing reservation and then make a new reservatio?

Reply to: Hotel prices for next summer 2019 - should I wait?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted