We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January 2018 itinerary

Irving, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
January 2018 itinerary

My girlfriend and I will be visiting Iceland during the second week of January. It will be our first time. We are really excited! We will be there for 3 days and 3 nights.

We have a preliminary itinerary, and would like some feedback, if possible. Any and all suggestions/opinions are welcomed! Thank you!

Day 1

Land at 6:35am at Keflavik. Transfer pick up at 7:30am, arrive at Blue Lagoon at 8am. Leave BL to go to breakfast at 10am. Check-in to our Airbnb is 2pm (we figured we can explore around Reykjavík for a little bit before checking in, if necessary. I’m sure we’ll be early). Extreme Iceland Northern Lights tour at 8:30pm.

-is an hour enough time to get through customs and make it to the transfer pick up?

-what are some breakfast suggestions?

Day 2

Goecco Ice Cave Express Tour at 7:15am.

-the Goecco tour includes NL, so is it redundant (and a waste of money) to do the Extreme Iceland NL tour on Day 1? (We understand that there is no certainty that we’ll ever see the NL during our entire stay, but figured we wanted to give ourselves “more opportunities”, if it was worth it or necessary)

Day 3

Relax and explore Reykjavík

-we’re not sure what to see or do yet in Reykjavik, so any suggestions would be appreciated! We’re open to any suggestions, but we would like to keep it local.

We’ll be buying our own groceries (Bonus or Kronan), but would like any suggestions on restaurants for dinner. We figured we’ll be going out to dinner either on Day 1 and/or Day 3.

GeoIceland Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Iceland Horizon
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Time Tours
Bus Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Back to Iceland travel
Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
7 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
8,770 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January 2018 itinerary

Make sure you bring warm layers of clothing plus handwarmers, maybe yaktrax or microspikes, a thermos flask and maybe a headlamp, since waiting outside for the NL at night without moving much will get very cold. Also be prepared for 4-5 hours of daylight, since even if you know about it beforehand it will feel weird to spend most of the day in darkness.

If your flight is on time you should be able to get your luggage and go through customs in an hour. You do have the BL booked, I assume? It does sell out well in advance and ticket prices rise the longer you wait. You will be admitted within one hour of the time listed on your ticket. Most people spend 2-3 hours at the BL and it takes about 45-60 minutes from there to Reykjavík, so if you arrive at 8am and wait to be in the city for breakfast at 10 am, that does not give you a lot of time to enjoy bathing.

Check out the Icelandic menu of the Laundromat Cafe (you have to scroll down from the Danish one) for breakfast. In Reykjavík you could walk around to see some of the sights (Sólfar, Harpa, Tjörnin, Hallgrímskirkja etc.) and/or maybe see one of the many nice museums (Volcano House, Aurora House, Wahles of Iceland, Saga Museum, Settlement Exhibition, National Museum etc.).

If you want to maximize your chances for the NL, definitely try a tour on your first day. That way if it doesn't work out and you stick to your plan you can use your second attempt on day 3.

Be prepared for the Express Tour. They are usually 16-18 hours with about 12 hours of pure driving. In my opinion the natural ice caves are simply too far away for a relaxed day tour, but if you don't mind a road trip, only have one day and really want to see the glacier lagoon and the ice caves, just prepare for long hours on the bus in darkness and bring snacks and water for the road. If you can still do a 2 day tour to Jökulsárlón on days 2-3 and ask GoEcco to switch you to a 2 day tour I would suggest doing that, even if it means you have to "eat" the cost of one night in Reykjavík. You will get a chance to see some of the other beautiful sights en route and get more time to explore than on the express tour.

What kind of food do you like? Some of my favorite meals in Reykjavík have been at Fish Company, Sæta Svínið, Bryggjan Brugghus and Íselnski Barinn.

Edited: 03 October 2017, 16:21
Boston...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January 2018 itinerary

If you have checked baggage you might be playing a bit tight with time on getting to the BL. A flight delay would totally destroy that plan.

I don't think 2 hours is enough time there. It's a solid 15-30 minutes to get in to the pool (wait in line, go to the locker room, take a full shower, get into the pool, and then the reverse to leave, with a longer shower to get the minerals and mud off).

Reykjavik is a cute city but you don't go to Iceland to see a city. Try to be on a tour as much as possible in your brief visit!

Canada
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January 2018 itinerary

If you are flying Delta ( notoriously late) you may be in time trouble

Don't spend your 3rd day in Reykjavik. Do a golden circle or Reykjanes peninsula tour instead.

Irving, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: January 2018 itinerary

Thanks everyone for the responses!

We will be flying with Icelandair. We’re traveling to Germany and figured we wanted to add a stopover in Iceland en route. We definitely have plans to visit Iceland again and spend much more time there, so we don’t want to pack in too much in our upcoming trip. Icelandair is adding our airport, DFW, as a hub next year, and we will be taking advantage of that!

We have not booked the BL or tour yet, but we understand that the sooner the better, and we will be booking ASAP. We just wanted to run our itinerary by the experienced TA community first :)

We’ll book BL tickets for 9am to allow for more time with luggage. With the one hour window that Kim mentioned, I think we should have ample time to get there from the airport (granted that our flight is on time).

We don’t have anything planned between BL and the NL tour at night, so we’re flexible of when to go eat breakfast.

We have thought about doing something on Day 3. We just didn’t want to overwhelm ourselves with too much in a short amount of time. But we did consider the Golden Circle tour or snorkeling at Silfra. We’ll discuss and book soon.

Thanks again everyone!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January 2018 itinerary

I posted a 48 hour itinerary for Reykjavik if you'd like inspiration for what to do/where to eat:

https:/…

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January 2018 itinerary

Hello, have you booked a Blue Lagoon yet?

Boston...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January 2018 itinerary

Viktoriya:

Blue Lagoon regularly sells out and prices go up closer to the date of your visit, so if you want to go to there you should book as soon as possible.

Reply to: January 2018 itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted