We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

Day 1 - Arrive at airport pick rental car at 6 am, Blue Lagoon (looking for 8 am), drive to Jökulsárlón (Night Stay)

Day 2 - Morning Ice Cave tour, afternoon Dimond beach and evening Vik (Night Stay)

Day 3 - Early morning Reynisfjara, Reynisdrangar, Skógafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Reykjavík (Night Stay)

Day 4 - Snæfellsnes Peninsula: Kirkjufellsfoss, Budhir (church), Londrangar (cliff) and Reykjavík (Night Stay)

Day 5 - Golden Circle: Þingvellir National Park, Geysir, Gullfoss falls, Reykjavík (Night Stay)

Day 6 - Morning explore Reykjavík before head out for flight at 1 pm

Ice Cave, Northern Light and Waterfall are top on our list along with Blue Lagoon so trying to cover them earlier in the trip so that I can be flexible due to weather.

Firstly - Please let me know if the plan looks doable? I want to some how fit 3D plane but don't know how? When is best time to photograph it? Is it safe to walk there in night?

Secondly - Where are the best locations near each of places (Jökulsárlón,Vik and Reykjavík) we plan to stay for hunting NL? I understand we have to drive but if we know some known spots with gps address or coordinates it would be great. I will check for weather few hrs before for those places.

Thirdly - has anyone visited, Museum of Skógar - Turft houses - can someone share recent picture? How much time we need for them? What are exact coordinates? Any other places we can see Turft houses in Iceland?

Any other best companies for Ice Cave tour if Local Guides are sold out?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,874 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Vik
Vik
South Region, Iceland
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
556 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Geysir Bistro Reykjavik
Geysir Bistro Reykjavik
996 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Northern Light Inn
Northern Light Inn
1,075 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
7 replies to this topic
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

We are from New Jersey so have experience of driving in snow (not preferred obviously). We ate hoping by mid march worst of winter would have past.

Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

Do you have a lot of experience driving on icy narrow roads in strong winds?

I would not recommend your plan as it is due to several things:

Driving in Iceland requires you to be fully rested and alert. If you start driving long distances after a red- eye flight chances are you might miss dents or scratches during your due diligence when picking up the car, not monitor the weather closely, miss the digital road signs with the wind speeds for the mountain passes, fall asleep at the wheel for a fraction of a second and swerve out of your narrow lane into another vehicle or down into a ditch, not react as quickly if you start skidding on ice...

That's why, especially in winter, I would always recommend peole acclimatize and rest in or close to Reykjavík after an overnight flight before hitting the road.

I would personally also not plan to drive all the way to Jökulsárlón and back to Vík in one day in winter and neither would I plan only one day for Snæfellsnes. You need to plan shorter driving distances in case of icy roads or bad weather. Your plan may work in perfect conditions, but you cannot rely on finding dry roads and low winds for your whole stay in March. Even April is still winter in Iceland.

So if you were a friend asking for my advice I would recommend this, provided you feel you are expert winter drivers and will judge conditions correctly and react appropriately if your car starts skidding:

Day 1 - Arrive at airport, pick up rental car at 6 am, Blue Lagoon (looking for 8 am), explore the city and stay the night in Reykjavík

Day 2 - Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, plane wreck hike if weather is good and winds are not too strong, stay around Vík

Day 3 - Fjaðrárgljúfur, Skaftafell, Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon and ice beach, stay in the vicinity (limited accommodation options)

Day 4 - Morning Ice Cave tour, Reynisfjara, Reynisdrangar, drive back to Reykjavík

Day 5 - Golden Circle: Þingvellir National Park, Geysir, Gullfoss falls, Reykjavík (Night Stay)

Day 6 - Morning explore Reykjavík before head out for flight at 1 pm

If you want to go Northern Lights hunting at night make sure you get enough sleep before you start driving again.

Edited: 09 January 2018, 16:38
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,874 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
556 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Geysir Bistro Reykjavik
Geysir Bistro Reykjavik
996 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

March is winter in Iceland. If you do not have the proper winter driving experience then driving here is a big risk. And even with winter driving experience, it is not possible to have a summer itinerary in winter.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Boston...
Level Contributor
19,943 posts
634 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

Mid March storms in Iceland are worse than anything you've seen in NJ or I've seen in NE. I know, as we found ourselves in one a few winters back.

Stick to tours.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,623 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

This is the weather today: icelandreview.com/news/2018/01/09/extreme-we…

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

So many things to see in REykjavik and you have only allocated a half day for this wonderful city.I spent 3 full days exploring and really enjoyed it

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Canada
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))

Asking for coordinates for NLs is to assume that they "appear" at the same place, regularly. This is simply not true other than to say they appear in iceland. That is why people say that they are going to hunt for the lights,

Reply to: Review Plan (5 nights 6 days in March (15th till 20th))
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted