We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our super short trip

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Our super short trip

We are doing a 2 night stopover from the US to Germany on March1-3. (our first visit) I know, 2 days is too short. So we arrive at 6:30am, and have reservations for the Blue Lagoon. My thought was to hang out downtown, nap, and then do a NL tour. The next day, sleep in, take an express Golden Circle tour, and do NL again, if necessary.

https:/…golden-circle-express

We fly out at 6am the next day. Are we making the best of our short time? I really wanted to see the glaciers in the water, but I don't think it's possible. I'd rather have a relaxing visit than try to do it all. I already think we will be back! :)

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,886 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
9 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,687 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our super short trip

It sounds like a good 2-night stopover. Maybe you can come back in the future and go to the iceberg lagoon (note, glaciers are many square miles in size, often on top of mountains).

Have fun !!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our super short trip

Oh dear, I knew that! Haha! I’ve seen glaciers, but wanted to see the icebergs! Next time!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,577 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our super short trip

If those are the things you want to see and do most, then it sounds like a good plan.

If you really want to see a glacier (and don't mind little sleep before your flight out) you could think about skipping the NL tour the first night and the Golden Circle and doing this tour instead:

https:/…sensational-iceland-winter

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
556 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
638 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our super short trip

It is a long drive to Jokulsarlon, if that is what you mean. You'd spend much of your precious time in a bus. Save it for another trip and enjoy the places you can see. You'll most likely be jet lagged and getting up early anyways. You could consider a south coast tour the second day, which would bring you a bit further afield.

We did a similar short trip on our way to Europe several years ago. It was a great way to get a taste for Iceland.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our super short trip

Thank you so much for your ideas!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our super short trip

Agreed - sounds like a good use of 2 days in Iceland! You could consider doing Reykjavik Free Walking Tour if you'd like to have your walk around town narrated :)

If you need any suggestions on where to eat, etc. I wrote a 48 hour itinerary for Reykjavik on my blog!

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Sussex
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our super short trip

Paige your blog is very useful, well written and informative - at least to someone planning their first visit (that'll be me). It sounds like you travel almost full time -are the highlighted links "pay-per-click?".

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our super short trip

Hi @littlelambsussex -- I wish! I've been able to start the site based on a number of trips I've been able to take over the past few years. And no, none of those links are affiliated with the tours or companies, but I hope they appreciate clicks :) Only thing that is actually linked to me is the Airbnb sign-up code.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our super short trip

Thanks Paige - I did find the blog useful and interesting. I never click on the links I see in blogs/trip reports.

Reply to: Our super short trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted