We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental vs. Tour Buses in January

Plano, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental vs. Tour Buses in January

Going on our honeymoon to Iceland in January and we have not been able to decide between renting a car or getting a airport transfer then taking tour buses from there. The tour buses I have read about seem unreliable, such as they would forget to pick you up. But renting a car seems difficult because of the weather on the roads and it being pretty dark out. What does everyone recommend is better? We are trying to aim more for a stress free private honeymoon.

Also, any recommendations for what to do?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
9,776 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental vs. Tour Buses in January

Hundreds of people use the tour buses everyday and how many complaints to you see on TA? People who have had problems with pickups usually have not listened to or read pickup instructions, are late to the pickup spot etc.

Do you get a lot of winter driving experience in Texas? Look at youtube videos to see what you may experience.

I would not recommend that you drive in January. It could be dangerous to yourself and others.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental vs. Tour Buses in January

Without the proper winter driving experience, renting a car in Iceland in January would be foolish.

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental vs. Tour Buses in January

Start married life on a positive note .... take a tour bus. For safety reasons primarily and because you'll learn a whole lot more from your guide as well as seeing the sights. Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding!

La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
749 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental vs. Tour Buses in January

Agreed, take a tour. As a Texan myself, there is no place in Texas that will adequately prepare you with the skills needed to drive in Iceland in January.

In Iceland, I've discovered the pick up time is frequently the latest they will pick you up, and there's no waiting around to look for you. It's best to be on the lookout 30 minutes before the stated time. I suspect the majority of those complaining they were forgotten did not realize this.

Reply to: Car Rental vs. Tour Buses in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted