We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it OK to travel to Siglufjordur in February?

Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Is it OK to travel to Siglufjordur in February?

Hi folks,

I want to spend one week in Siglufjordur in February, but I don't know how easy it will be to travel up north in this season, and what the weather conditions will be up there. Would you recommend to go at a different period?

2 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,884 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it OK to travel to Siglufjordur in February?

Ok... do mean "to travel" by car rental, or using public transport...?

Siglufjörður is interesting indeed, very interesting, but a whole week there seems like a lot to me, unless you plan on relaxing and writing a novel while you're there, or doing a lot of photography on long exposures.

It is possible I suppose (haven't checked bus lines though), and could be great. But I would not recommend winter driving over there, no.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it OK to travel to Siglufjordur in February?

If you plan on driving I wouldn’t recommend it unless there was no doubt whatsoever about the weather forecast. I would use the road via Dalvik-Olafsfjordur-Siglufjordur and avoid the more direct route via Hofsos. That area tends to have heavy snow plus the final 20 km are quite daunting with steep drops, twists and turns.

The road between Dalvik and Olafsfjordur is sometimes closed due to avalanche risk but is otherwise a straight-forward easy drive.

Keep an eye on this site for info: http://www.road.is/

Another and maybe better option would be to take a flight to Akureyri and then either rent a car (if experienced in winter driving) or taking the 3x a day bus to Siglufjordur. Theoretically you can take a bus from Reykjavik to Akureyri and then a second bus from Akureyri to Siglufjordur.

Reply to: Is it OK to travel to Siglufjordur in February?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Siglufjordur