We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mdina - a question of timings?

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
592 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Mdina - a question of timings?

We are going to visit Mdina sometime in the next two days. I was hoping to go mid afternoon and into the evening - trouble is it is seriously hot - 42 degrees!! (hottest day on record yesterday) and set to last

We could go early but temps are still sky high and v humid plus it will be more crowded ...

So my questions:

Would people go early (along with all the tour groups!) or later

Does anyone know how late the main sites stay open in the afternoon?

We don't want to drag around all the "shows" etc but want to get the atmosphere. We've visited Valletta so understand the general history and have a Lonely Planet with us. Would like to visit the cafe with fab choccy cake (!) and walk some of the walls, and would like to see the glass blowing at the craft village. Otherwise up for suggestions

Plan to go by taxi and back by bus, so also how late do the public buses run pleas (we're in Paceville)

Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mdina - a question of timings?

The public bus from Mdina to Paceville is route 202 which runs once an hour at 4pm, 5pm, etc until 10pm - see https:/…202 .

I have visited Mdina in the evening and found it very pleasant to stroll around with out all the hords of tourists. However that was some time ago and from memory, most places inside the city walls were closed.

P-t-B

Edited: 05 August 2017, 22:22
hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mdina - a question of timings?

Getting there very early in the morning is also a good time to visit, especially on Sunday mornings. It is very quiet, few tourists, no shops open and the locals about in their Sunday best on the way to/from church. After 10am it gets busy! Fontanella Tea Garden for chocolate cake from 10am - but lots of locals as well as tourists on a Sunday.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,987 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mdina - a question of timings?

Interestingly, the Fontanella website suggests they are open until midnight !

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mdina - a question of timings?

Phil I think they are,my cousin stayed at the xara palace last year with her now fiancee he proposed at the fonatella tea rooms over drinks and yes chocolate cake at around 1130pm on a Saturday night last August so maybe they are in height of season.

Op I would go early morning get there before the hords,have a wander then at ten as there arriving go look at cathedral etc as you'll beat them as there only arriving,then go to fontanelle for coffee and cake,that way miss the hords and heat.

Edited: 06 August 2017, 15:33
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mdina - a question of timings?

Hi Sarah! I just wanted to check if you would know till what time the main sites in Mdina stay open since you would have already visited those by now. We plan to visit Mdina next Saturday but would be able to reach there only by evening.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mdina - a question of timings?

www.maltacultureguide.com/index.php…

You can get opening and closing times for cathedral and other sites on link above.

Eileen

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mdina - a question of timings?

https://www.publictransport.com.mt/en/

Bus time tables on link.

I think tho you will have to get a bus into Valletta,then change for mdina which is the Rabat bus.

Reply to: Mdina - a question of timings?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mdina