We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Melrose...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Hi, we are arriving in Valletta at 8am via cruise ship on June 30th. We have 3pm tickets to the Hypogeum and would also like to see old Valletta and Mdina. Is this doable in one day, and in what order would you do the sites knowing that you have to be in Paola for the Hypogeum at 3pm.

I am thinking maybe old Valletta first until late morning and then heading to Mdina from 12ish until 2 or so to get to the Hypogeum on time.

Would love some recommendations.

Thanks,

Michele

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

If you are a group of four , two couples , I would go for a taxi to Mdina first thing in the morning , spend 2 hours at Mdina , get a bus back to Valletta around 11 and then think of getting to The Hypo around 2 ! Valletta shops open around 9 as do attractions !

You can get taxis at Valletta and Mdina easily , same with buses . The Hypo is a different story but buses pass nearby .

Edited: 30 April 2012, 15:13
Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Melrose...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Thank you for you recommendations.

Do you know what bus line we would need to take to get back to Valletta from Mdina, and how frequently they run? I seem to remember reading that it takes @ 20-30 mins to get to/from Mdina from Valletta.

What would be your "must sees" in both Mdina and Old Valletta?

Based on all the beautiful photos that I have seen, Malta will become a vacation destination in the future.

Thank you,

Michele

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,854 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Mdina is not too big and a stroll round the walled city will not take too long.

The Cathederal is well worth a visit but mainly just enjoy the feeling of wandering around this historic place.

Fontanellas cafe on the walls of the city is well worth a visit for their lovely chocolate cake !

Valletta is also a wonderfull city to walk around. The Upper Barracca Gardens give a beautifull view over the Grand Harbour and is one of the great views in the world.

Again the Cathederal is well worth a visit. There are several museums in Valletta but if time is a constraint just , as in Mdina , just spend your day strolling along the narrow side streets and popping in to the occasional pub .

Have an enjoyable visit.

Graham

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

643 is spot on - since you arrive in Malta before places are open, go straight to Mdina.

Walk through the city (small,) see the Cathedral, view from the bastions. Graham's idea of coffee and cake is nice, but they are not swift in their service, and that could take an hour so I would miss it.

10.30 Back to Valletta by bus so you can see some of Malta (buses from just outside the gate in Rabat, most go straight there, about 30 mins)

11.00 From Valletta terminus short walk into Valletta. Go to Upper Barracca gardens for the view of the harbour etc. See at least St. John's inside. Walk down and see Palace. Spot of lunch or drink if you have time.

2.15 TAXI from Valletta to Hypogeum - note you are asked to be there by 2.45 for your 3pm booking. Finish 4 pm, back by taxi to ship. (I suggest taxi for this bit because buses this way are a bit hit and miss.) You should be able to prebook at taxi at the terminal. Or else pre arrange by email with Wembley Taxis (google them) and explain what you want

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Rabat
Rabat
Rabat-Sale-Zemmour-Zaer Region, Morocco
Melrose...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Perfect - thank you for all of your wonderful recommendations and the sequence in which to do things. Do you know which bus number we should take to get back to Valletta, or does it matter as long as we are going in that direction?

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

I am not a bus expert but I am sure that there is a bus stop outside Mdina main gate on the left side near the playing field and the mobile kiosk , and the bus 51,52 or 53 should pass there going downhill to Valletta , ask the driver when you pay the ticket , to be sure .

with the limited time I would skip the coffee at the Fontanella, but would enter from the Main gate over the small bridge over the moat , left turn and next right all the way down past the Cathedral square and further on to the bastions for the view . Walk along the bastions , towards and past Fontanella tea rooms , down the steps and along the narrow streets to approach the Cathedral from the side, take some photos near the cannons in front of the Cathedral , and after visiting the Cathedral , maybe find time to visit the Natural museum near the Mdina front gate if time permits .

If tight for time get a taxi from outside Mdina .

Once at Valleta follow Seans advice , down Main street, and head for the Upper Barrakka for the view , then walk down to St Johns and out along Merchant street .Much more to see but time is limited . Snack at Merchant street should be fine , try a local band club maybe ?

Get a taxi to the Hypo from the taxi stand at Valletta and buy some photos of the Hypo as no cameras , and if you have time go to Tarxien Temples which are a small distance on foot , if you have the taxi agreed to pick you up there .If you make everything in time ,come back to see the rest .....you need at least a week or two

Welcome to Malta

I think that I got the Valletta tour wrong way round ? someone correct me Pleez..no time to edit !!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 01 May 2012, 22:00
Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Tarxien Temples
Tarxien Temples
522 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

The map on here shows the Mdina bus stop

oneweekholiday.com/user/holiday-planner/2-md…

Valletta

You can first go to Upper Barrakka , down Merchant street , Cathedral , then Main street ,maybe Archeological Museum , and out to the ship !

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

In Valletta itself, St. John's Co-Cathedral is the top must-see; perhaps the Archaeological Museum because you have an interest in the unique Hypogeum.

I applaud your ambition for your day; on our one-day cruise ship visit a few years back, we spent the entire day in Valletta plus our trip to the Hypogeum and nearby Tarxien Temples, which only were a few minutes walk from the Hypogeum. However, we are slow sightseers and spent a lot of time at the Cathedra;. Happily, we return this October for another visit, this time overnight plus one day on a cruise ship. So I finally will get to Mdina.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 00:58
Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
St. John's Co-Cathedral
St. John's Co-Cathedral
9,067 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Tarxien Temples
Tarxien Temples
522 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Melrose...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Thank you all. Hopefully we have not taken on to much for one day, but each of the 3 areas selected look fascinating. We love taking in new things wherever we travel and love learning about other cultures past and present. The Hypogeum sounded so unique and we are planning our day around it. This cruise features at least 5 UNESCO world heritage locations ( Dubrovnik, Split, Ravenna, Pompeii and Malta), so we should get our fill of history and antiquities.

Thanks again,

Michele

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Split
Split
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Ravenna
Ravenna
Province of Ravenna, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Whatever you do, don't be put off in Valletta by the seemingly drab exterior to St. John's. The interior is a MUST!

Revision to the Valletta bit - hope 643 agrees!

From bus terminus, walk straight through down Republic Street to St. John's - see what the queue is like. Walk on a little bit further if it is long, take a quick look at the Grandmaster's Palace and the GC citation etc.

Back to St.John's. Coming out turn LEFT into Merchant's Street, walk uphill (stop for a beer if time!) then at top (few hundred metres only, turn LEFT for Augerge de Castille cross road to Upper Barracca Gardens for view of Grand Harbour, then out of city the way you entered to get back to ship.

Incidentally, there are some useful downloads on the visitmalta website -

www.visitmalta.com/e-brochures

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Grandmaster's Palace
Grandmaster's Palace
1,486 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Castille Hotel
Castille Hotel