We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mdina/Rabat in february?

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Mdina/Rabat in february?

I am planning a trip in February - 3 days in valletta and 3 days in Mdina (with a car to explore during the day).

What will Rabat/Mdina be like in the evenings? Will restaurants/cafes/shops etc be open to provide some "life" or will it be dead in february?

4 replies to this topic
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mdina/Rabat in february?

It's the depth of Winter so if you have cold, blustery evenings it will feel like a ghost town. Restaurants will be open (but not necessarily every night).

Not sure where you are staying in Valletta but its not ideal car hire territory, although using a car is the best solution to see the island in a few days.

Research your options carefully, as even Valletta is quiet in the evenings.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mdina/Rabat in february?

Malta is a very small island and Valletta and Mdina are realistically only 20 minutes away from each other by car, that being the case I would tend to suggest one location would be easier for site seeing, unless of course you fancy spending a couple of days on neighboring Gozo. Both locations are lovely and rich in history and definitely worth exploring, but nightlife will be very quiet, especially in Mdina/Rabat. My recommendation would be to base yourself in St Julian's or neighboring Sliema which will offer more in the way of eateries and bars. If you plan to hire a car pick accommodation with parking since street parking can be difficult although there are paid car parks too.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mdina/Rabat in february?

Thanks for your replies.

I was thinking of spending 3 days in Valletta, without a car. I understand I can easily get across the bay to Sliema from there.

Then i thought we could tour the island in a hire car from a different base, for 3 nights. Mdina looks interesting and prices at the Xara Palace look good. I know Mdina is an old town which probably shuts down at night but I was hoping Rabat would offer some life in the evening. We are not looking for clubs etc but would like a choice of restaurants, window shopping etc, just something to look at while wondering around in the evening.

Another option would be to stay in a more lively resort which is more likely to be open in the evenings, perhaps a seafront promenade etc and drive to Mdina for a day trip. We would normally find such resorts boring but if we are driving about during the day this might be a better option for the evenings. St Paul's Bay or St Juliens? I appreciate I will have to worry about parking if I stay in one of the more central hotels.

This is our first trip to Malta so any ideas would be appreciated.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mdina/Rabat in february?

If you like culture and history, I would opt to stay in Valletta or Mdina. Just be aware that Valletta is very much an administrative capital, lively by day, quieter by night. Mdina is small - taking no more than an hour to stroll around at a leisurely pace.

St. Julians or Sliema are moden sea-front towns joined to the large conurbation that surrounds Valletta. The main benefit is a nice prom for strolls, masses of bars and restaurants and from Sliema good views to Valletta.

St. Paul's is mainly a purpose built area for tourism (Bugibba & Qawra) and arguably not the most aesthetically pleasing location on the island.

Clearly if you are thinking of the Xara Palace, you are looking at high end. If you consider Valletta, be aware that the Excelsior is outside the city gates, rather than in the thick of things.

For St. Julians - I would focus on The Westin, Juliani or Hilton. THe JUliani may suit as it's smaller but see if you can afford a sea facing room.

A cheaper option might be Le Meridien which has the best indoor pool.

Edited: 27 November 2015, 20:30
Reply to: Mdina/Rabat in february?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mdina