We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mdina or Valletta in September

cheshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Mdina or Valletta in September

Hi there, we want to stay somewhere that has history and culture in Malta. Put it this way our worst ever holiday would be in the Maldives as we would be bored.

I have looked at both Mdina and Valletta and they both appear to fit the bill. We do not like places that are too touristy, but like to be within walking distance of good restaurants.

We are prepared to travel around the island during the day.

All suggestions gratefully received!

19 replies to this topic
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Mdina, ‘the Silent City’, is one of Europe’s best preserved walled cities and is an absolute jewel. However I do not think it is an ideal holiday base. Valletta is also a unique walled city but more vibrant with a lot more to do, see and enjoy. The accommodation choice is much wider and importantly it is an ideal base to explore the island.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Hi.

I agree with Joe as will probably everyone else. Valletta is a fantastic place to visit and there is some good hotels there. Not too many though like sliema and st julians and the like.

Mdina is beautiful. There are no other words to describe it but it can be done in a one day visit. There is only the xara palace hotel in mdina and that is film star wages to stay there almost 😊

I love valletta though as there is much more to see and do there. It's busy in the day with a good cafe scene and quieter at night but still with lots of places to eat and drink.

You are also at the transport hub for the whole island. You are also a stones throw from the 3 cities which all have their own individual charm as well.

Enjoy malta.

cheshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Thanks to you both.

We were planning to stay in the Xara Palace, as they have some good deals on at the moment.

I suppose what put me off about Valletta was concern about the amount of tourists from cruise ships.

The idea would be to be out and about most days and relax in the evenings. Is it difficult to tour the island from Mdina, also is it pretty dead in the evenings?

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Mdina is really quiet and pretty dead in the evening, it is a closed town, you may find some life outside Mdina, in Rabat, have a look here http://www.visitmalta.com/en/mdina-and-rabat

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g190326-Activiti…

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Mdina is a bit restrictive as a base and really quite small, in an hour's walk around you would cover every street.

Perhaps look at some of the high end B&Bs in Valletta.

cheshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Thank you,

I think Valletta it is!

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Although I don't follow cruise ships I don't believe there are that many that dock in valletta and it certainly doesn't swamp valletta with tourists. Valletta is very cosmopolitan and quite busy during the day especially up and down republic st where all the shops are but you can nip off down another side street or parallel street and it opens up a totally different valletta.

Just to let you know if you are not aware , the 2 five star hotels are actually just outside the city gates in floriana. Only a short walk but it is up hill to valletta.

I always say Google earth the area to get a better view on how the land lies. You can also see photos on the attractions if you click on the links.

Have fun

London
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Sorry bobster, but many cruise ships (the biggest & best) stop off at Valletta, sometimes two or three at a time and very impressive it is too, but they don't flood the city with tourists as many get out and about to explore elsewhere on the island. There's loads to see in Valletta and as mentioned, ideal for getting buses to other destinations.

Valletta is a UNESCO World Heritage city and deserves to be too.

Be warned that the posh Phoenicia Hotel just outside the City Gate is completely closed for a total overhaul at present, might be open by Sept, don't know.

You must get over to Gozo too, the Citadel in Victoria ranks alongside Mdina in must see places, restoration works are still taking place there, but still worth the trip. Lots of other stuff to see on Gozo too.

Have fun, it'll still be hot and sunny in Sept., it was warm and sunny just two weeks ago when I was last there.

Have fun and enjoy the island we love so much.

Ntd

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Ooops. 😆

I don't take any notice of cruise ships as you can tell ha ha. Cheers Ntd.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mdina or Valletta in September

Cruise ships do stop off at Valletta,but its usually just for the day,by night they've set sail again,some stay and wander around the city at day,but a lot go off to other places on tours,mdina is lovely but smaller and quieter and not as much choice of restaurants as Valletta,the two 5 star hotels the excelsior and the Phoenicia are outside Valletta's main gates in floriana with a hill into Valletta,but about 10 minute walk or so,if you want to be in valletta itself have a look at the Osbourne hotel its not 5 star but is a very good hotel with a good reputation with locals and regular TA members,it has a lovely roof top pool and terrace,restaurant,bar,24hour reception etc all the amenities of a good hotel,note most of the bars,cafes,restaurants,shops close on a night in the centre but all the ones on merchant street and sides streets of it and on the waterfront are open so still plenty of choice.

Valletta is a beautiful,historical city in sure you'll love it.

Eileen

Reply to: Mdina or Valletta in September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mdina