We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Escapade ticket

Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about Escapade ticket

I am looking into taking a day trip to Dinant using the Escapade offer. Does anyone know if this ticket has to be time-specific? I would prefer if I can return whenever I want, much depending on weather etc. When looking at online booking it wants it to be time specific, is it also that if you buy it at the station?

Mentioned in this post
Dinant
Dinant
Namur Province, Belgium
4 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Escapade ticket

The ticket has to be date specific both ways with the return date up to 1 month after the outward, but not train specific. The problem seems to be that the CFL international on-line ticketing system is set up to be train specific, which is understandable as it is probably mainly used for TGV tickets. You can buy an Escapade ticket at the international ticket window at Luxembourg gare.

Mentioned in this post
Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Escapade ticket

Thank you, all good then. I changed my itinerary to this

Day 1: land in Luxembourg, half day in the city. 3 nights at hotel

Day 2: full day in the city

Day 3: day trip to Belgium (Dinant) in the morning. Lots of train traveling but I am used to it!

Day 4: train to Metz, spend the day and night there

Day 5: train from Metz back to Luxembourg and fly home

Originally I was going to visit Belgium in May but I ended up not going due to a number of reasons, and this trip is my last in this part of Europe for quite some time so I would like to see a bit of Belgium and France also.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 05:57
Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Dinant
Dinant
Namur Province, Belgium
Metz
Metz
Moselle, France
Europe
Europe
World
France
France
Europe
Solvesborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Escapade ticket

By the way, is there a special reason why regular (i.e not special offer) cross-border train tickets are extra expensive in the Benelux region and France? Up here in the north of Europe a train is never more expensive because it cross a border, all part of the same network to suit "gränspendlare" (people who live in one country but works in the neighboring country).

Edited: 11 June 2018, 19:03
Mentioned in this post
Benelux
Benelux
191 Reviews
De Panne, Belgium
France
France
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Escapade ticket

There are special fare arrangements available to the tens of thousands of "frontaliers" who travel between Belgium, France and Germany and the Grand Duchy every working day.

As for ordinary tickets, they are more expensive where a border is crossed because the operating costs are higher.

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
France
France
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Reply to: Question about Escapade ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted