We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrian vignette

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Austrian vignette

I recently traveled to Vienna from Munich and had purchased a 10 day vignette for my rental car. I am concerned that my vignette might not have been valid because I had initially put the vignette on the top left corner of the drivers side windshield and thought I should move it down a bit and so I lightly peeled it off and put the sticker back on 2 inches down. I had to drive through several toll roads to finally arrive in Vienna. I also drove the car from Vienna into Italy couple of days later on partial toll roads. If the vignette was invalid, do you think I will be fined for each toll road that I had to take or just a one time fine? I happen to stumble on a website that talked about the Austrian vignette stickers and it said that once you peel off the vignette they become invalid because of a special sensors that detects for this. If anyone has any insight, please let me know. I wonder if there is a way for me to find out if my vignette worked or if I have fines?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austrian vignette

I am not sure how you were able to peel off your vignette, as the adhesive is almost impossible to remove. in fact, you are offered a special tool to remove it! but as long as it was attached to your top left of windscreen, you were legal . as far as I am aware, there is no sensor involved, as it would be impossible to validate a date which is only indicated by punch out sections on the item itself.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austrian vignette

Thank you. I hope everything works out. I stayed up worrying about it. I figured since the month and date are punched out correctly. The camera would look at that and figure the validity of the vignette. I'm thinking that maybe they make the 10 day vignettes easier to peel since people have to take them off often. Thank you for your help.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,942 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Austrian vignette

I think that cameras only check whether a car's windscreen is equipped with the sticker.

Why do you think that people take the stickers off often? That's not true!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austrian vignette

further to my earlier post, you say that you went through several toll roads. Austria does not have toll points, the vignette is for use of autobahns. places that actually have tolls and are not autobahns are usually private or speciality roads such as grossglockner

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,942 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austrian vignette

There are tunnel sections on Autobahns which are subject to a (additional) toll. On expressway A13 (Innsbruck-Brennero) the vignette is not valid and a toll is collected instead.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
16,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Austrian vignette

I have never travelled down that way, so thanks for the info

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
15 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Austrian vignette

I traveled on the autobahns and noticed the cameras in intervals. I was just suggesting that you would have to take the stickers off after 10 days unlike the 2 months and 1 yr stickers. Anyway, I hope my vignette worked and I won't be chareged with a fine. I wasn't sure how the vignette and the camera worked for the 10 day sticker. At one of the autobahns, it seemed like the cameras where very close in interval while at others they wheren't as frequent.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Austrian vignette

There are no camera controls for private cars - this is the system for trucks. There is a special service using Mercedes buses checking toll stickers - normally near borders or sometimes all cars get checked and traffic must slow down. Once you peal off a toll sticker it gets destroyed and becomes invalid. Just pay and you will be fine - fines are huge otherwise.

9. Re: Austrian vignette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 12:18