We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
137 posts
Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

Hi, Ii'm so excited. This summer will be my first visit to Austria and Salzburg. I know that there are some festivals end of August. But what else is going on in Salzburg to warrant such sky high hotel rates Aug 31 2018?

And on top of that, you can cancel without penalty only 1 month in Advance which means, July 31st for an August 31st stay.

Some hotels, the smaller with good reviews online are booked or downright non-refundable. Thanks

7 replies to this topic
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

Not sure how much you expected to pay but on Trivago there are plenty at less than £100 for a double room . You could always get the bus to St Gilgen where there are even cheaper places. Just look at places slightly outside the city. Public transport is excellent

Singalila National...
Level Contributor
64 posts
2. Re: Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

It is high season, summer holidays, and Salzburg Festival has just ended. Some people may still be there. Salzburg is never a low cost destination.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,922 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

What level of prices did you find? And at smaller places it is quite usual that you have to submit cancellations well in advance, although this policy can rather be found in holiday resorts.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
137 posts
4. Re: Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

Hi, August 31 in the bigger hotels (nicer) are 400 plus Euros. Regular days following that are 250 Euros more or less.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 07:53
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,922 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

I just did a hotel search on booking.com and found numerous places in the 100-150 EUR/night range.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,397 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

Not all bigger hotels are nicer than small ones i.e. privately run b&b. Why not look at those since budget is an issue. Hotel Hohenstauffen is one if those.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
137 posts
7. Re: Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?

Budget is not an issue as I tend to stay in 5-star hotels or 4”. But in my dates I thought it was ridiculous to pay 300 € a night at Sheraton when I know regular rates were at €200 plus. Aug 31 to Sept 3 was €360. But if I do a Sept 1 to 3 booking the rates were €250 per night. So as it turned out, Aug 31 was pulling the rates up of the following days Sept 1-3.

I was able to find a solution to it.

Reply to: Aug 31 Hotel Rates Sky High, Important Events Going On?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted