We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EC/RJ train from munich to salzburg

KL
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
EC/RJ train from munich to salzburg

Hi we plan to buy an advanced ticket from munich to salzburg 2nd class. the website allow us to just buy ticket and also ticket + seat reservation.

must we get a seat reserved for this journey? It is an early morning 8:27 train. will it be pack? what happen if we sit on someone reserved sears? thanks.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EC/RJ train from munich to salzburg

Can we assume you are correctly using German National rail www.bahn.de and not some reseller like raileurope.

EXACTLY where are you staying in Munich

EXACTLY what day/dates

Question - why??? do you have to get somewhere early??

If you are not already aware there is a ticket in Bavaria called the Bayern ticket. Gives you unlimited use of ALL public transport in Bavaria including ALL city transport (e.g. in Munich) ALL buses and importantly ALL Regional trains including those trains to Salzburg (excludes the IC, ICE, EC and RAILJET trains). It costs €29 for a group of up to 5 people travelling together. Valid from 9am weekdays (midnight weekends and public holidays) until 3am the following morning

full T&Cs

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

There are REGIONAL trains to Salzburg every hour throughout the day.

You can buy the Bayern ticket at most ticket machines at most U-Bahn and S-Bahn stations around your hotel

If you really must book this train can't tell you how busy it will be. I've taken trains around this time to Vienna and there have been free seat (unreserved) available.

Don't forget that if you are not staying near Munich Hbf or Ostbahnhof you will have to get there. You can put your local S-Bahn station on www.bahn.de as the "From" station

e.g. Munich Rosenheimerplatz

It shouldn't make any difference to your ticket price.

You can not occupy peoples reserved seats. You will be asked to leave (which of course you should immediately do).

If you have no reason to rush just use the Bayern ticket.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EC/RJ train from munich to salzburg

The regional trains don't take a great deal longer than the expresses, but they are a lot cheaper if you follow what Giftzwerg says (Bayern ticket, which you buy on the day). No reservations required or even possible on these trains.

And it goes without saying that you must not use re-sellers such as Rail Europe or Eurail for European trains, unless you like throwing your hard-earned money away :)

Edited: 11 March 2012, 17:01
KL
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EC/RJ train from munich to salzburg

Hi thanks for the reply..

the tickets i am looking are for May 14,2012. yes using German National rail www.bahn.de i am staying at the hotel which is only 200 m from the main train station. I am choosing this as it only cost me $29 for 2 persons and it is a direct train. of course i have to buy my tickets soon to get this cheap tickets. also i am choosing this because it does not require train changes. we are traveling with luggage. of course reserving the seats is 4euro for each person and that would be 37 euro for the total price.

i am confirmed my plan to travel to salzburg on May 14 in the morning. of course other trains at different timing on May14 also offer the same discount at 29 euro if i buy right now.

So now i am just wondering if i must get a reservations. if not we will be standing for 1h42m throughout the journey. :/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: EC/RJ train from munich to salzburg

Just pay the €8 instead of losing sleep worrying for two months about having to stand! A small price to pay.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EC/RJ train from munich to salzburg

The tickets on that train cost €19 each (minimum) if bought in advance. The €29 for two refers to the regional trains which take 20 minutes more and if using a Bayern Ticket as detailed above. No need to reserve, and reservations are not even possible on those trains. Plenty of room for luggage. Plus it is a direct train from the main station. Ignore the fact that on the website it says €21 each as that is purely theoretical. Tickets do not and cannot 'sell out'. If you are really concerned about getting a seat, just get to the station about 15 minutes before the train departs you will find that it will be empty (if it is at the platform) and you can sit where you like.

There is a regional train at 0942, arrive at 1142, which is earlier than you would arrive if you got the later EC train, plus you would be saving yourselves enough money for a nice lunch for two when you get to Salzburg. No brainer :)

6. Re: EC/RJ train from munich to salzburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:41