We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

Hello, I'm from the US and traveling from "Vienna to Budapest" early September. 1st class, 2 people traveling. So excited as this is my first time in both cities.

How much is first class if bought on the day of travel? Do this route ever sell out? Will buy online now if I can save $$. No experience buying from oebb.at.

I want to ride in an Austrian railjet. I was looking at schedules at oebb.at. When the train type says railjet for a schedule, is there a possibility that eobb changes the train to an EC or older train models due to glitches on the day of travel? Or if it says railjet on my ticket, it will be a railjet?

At oebb.at, I played around with a date of travel just so I get familiar with the website, then the ticket price kept going up online for that date because I kept going back and forth between the previous page and current page. That's why my question about pricing on the day of and if route sells out as I think this is a popular route(?).

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
11 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,376 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

If you want to know the price for a regular, fully flexible 1st class train ticket, just do a search for tomorrow morning, when discounted tickets aren't available anymore.

www.oebb.at/en

The full fare is also available at the train station just before departure. Tickets can never sell out, simply because ticketing works differently in the railway business (in comparison to buses and airtravel).

Also keep in mind that traveling in economy class is very comfortable, an upgrade to 1st class won't bring you any mentionable, additional comfort.

Austrian Railways ÖBB does not suddently and unexpectedly exchange rolling stock like airlines like to change aircraft.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 02:05
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

Hi Michael, I just bought my 2 tickets first class with seats for 94 Euros and printed it on Legal size paper ( this is the longer paper 8 1/2 by 14 inches).

On the shorter US letter size paper it looks like the barcode is cut off at the bottom. I've done this before with Spain's renfe trains print at home tickets, I used the legal sized paper. I may ask my hotel in Vienna to print it in A4 paper it that's necessary. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

if you get the obb app on your phone or tablet you can save your ticket there as well..can't remember if you can save it to your wallet on ios

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

Hi Steve, oh yeah? Well, I printed my tickets. Well try using app, which is actually on my Iphone now. The train tickets I bought for 94 euros this morning USA time is now 124 euros (2 first class with seat reservations).

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,376 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

Warning! When traveling internationally, it is still not recommended to use the ÖBB App to show your ticket because some Hungarian train attendants, who will always be in charge of the train once it is on Hungarian territory, might see a problem here.

Because of that try to print it on an A4 paper, or at least use the settings of this paper format.

It also isn't a big deal to print tickets at a ticket vending machine in Vienna, takes 30 seconds, but if you have already opted for a "self-rpinted" ticket, then you may not be able to change the method of ticketing anymore.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 13:57
Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

Hi Michael, Yes, I did read the disclaimers that you can use app tickets within Austria only. And also the rule that either you print tickets at home or get the tickets in Vienna from a machine.

Why can travelers not do both in Austria?

I know in other European countries you can do both : print your PDF ticket at home and if you want, you can print a real ticket at the train station. But I haven't done this; all my print-at-home tickets from Spain, France, Italy, Uk all worked. Besides I had no time to go looking for a machine once I get there. Too busy sight-seeing.

I try to arrange my travel logistics at home so I don't waste time doing it once I'm at my destination in Europe.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 23:14
Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Spain
Spain
Europe
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
7. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2018, 03:13

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,376 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

@Gliss29

No idea why ÖBB does not offer that, different countries, different solutions.... ;-)

Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
139 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

>>“On the shorter US letter size paper it looks like the barcode is cut off at the bottom. I've done this before with Spain's renfe trains print at home tickets, I used the legal sized paper. I may ask my hotel in Vienna to print it in A4 paper it that's necessary. Thanks.“<<

I would imagine that you could just cut the legal sized paper down to a4 size if you want. I can’t logically see why it would be a problem on the legal sized paper though.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 23:00
Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest

On my ÖBB tickets I have never had a barcode, always a QR-style code. While a barcode should be readable when it's on the edge of the paper, I am not so sure about QR. Have you tried Ann J's advice about cutting your paper to size?

Reply to: Vienna, OEBB newbie: Train & tickets Vienna to Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted