We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3.5 days with kids in June

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
3.5 days with kids in June

we'll be arriving from Prague next Friday afternoon and heading to Budapest on the following Tuesday morning with kids, ages 8 and 9.

I'm assuming Schonbrunn Palace will be even more crowded on a weekend? Can we knock out the palace/zoo/maze in one day if we save it for Monday?

Still planning the itinerary but had considered:

Hofburg Palace and butterfly garden

House of Music

Mozart House

Danube Island and waterpark

Prater

I'm sure there are others as well but these appeared to be the most kid-friendly.

The weekend crowds will be unavoidable but any of the above better/worse than others? other places I've missed that are a big hit with kids?

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Schonbrunn  Palace
Schonbrunn Palace
33,212 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Cafe Hofburg
Cafe Hofburg
567 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Cafe Mozart
Cafe Mozart
2,731 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
12 replies to this topic
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

You can cover all of Schönbrunn, including the zoo, in a day. Not sure Mozart Haus offers much for kids. Have you looked at this article?

https://www.wien.info/en/vienna-for/families

Mentioned in this post
Mozart Haus
Mozart Haus
1,070 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

thanks. I've seen that article but will give it another look. apart from operating days/hours is there anything from that list that will be much less busy on a Monday vs the weekend? or if we get to Schonbrunn when it opens on Saturday/Sunday will we beat much of the crowd before hitting the kids museum/zoo/maze?

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

Prater attracts lots of kids so will be quieter when they’re at school!

Mentioned in this post
Prater
Prater
7,724 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

Prater attracts lots of kids so will be quieter when they’re at school!

Mentioned in this post
Prater
Prater
7,724 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

so we'd probably be better off doing Prater and Danube Island water park on Monday and just getting to Schonbrunn when it opens on Sat/Sun and reserving our time in advance?

Mentioned in this post
Prater
Prater
7,724 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

is the Children's Museum experience enough to get a feel for the palace or would there be enough 'extra' in either the imperial or grand tour of the palace ahead of time for the kids (girls, 8 and 9).

we'd be hitting the palace at 8 or 9am on Saturday or Sunday and then doing the Children's Museum, maze and zoo afterwards. looks like we could knock that out in half-a-day with our early start?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,577 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

Kids those ages will probably get exhausted trying to get thru those Palaces in a day. Only you know them and if they would enjoy it.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

I hope that this reply isn't too late. You'll be fine visiting Schonbrunn on the weekends - might be a bit more crowded at the zoo, but not so bad. I think you should definitely avoid touring the interior of the palace with kids as it will be very boring and hot for them. The zoo and the maze/labyrinth with plenty of ice cream will be fine for them and you. I have kids, but have never actually done the kids' museum at the Schonbrunn. I know that you get to try on wigs and period clothing.

I also wanted to address what I think it missing from your list - the Technical Museum, the Natural History Museum as well as cafes for cake. The Naschmarkt would also be fun as would a visit to Stephansdom and the catacombs. I honestly would totally skip the Hofburg - majorly boring for kids. The Butterfly House is really not worth the expense in my opinion. You also mention the water playground on the Danube Island (Donauinsel). I'm thinking that you don't really get what this is - it is a nice place, but not anything like a water park. It is a playground with water features and geared towards younger kids than yours. Instead, I would suggest renting a paddle or sailboat on the Alte Donau and having dinner at the Strandcafe.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna Naschmarkt
Vienna Naschmarkt
2,669 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Cafe Hofburg
Cafe Hofburg
567 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Donauinsel
Donauinsel
166 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Alte Donau
Alte Donau
119 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Strandcafe
Strandcafe
450 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

A sailboat? Doesn’t that need experience? Motorboats are fun though they get clogged up with weeds a lot. Rowing boats are ideal if you’ve got enough energy!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3.5 days with kids in June

Yes, I meant motorboat.

Reply to: 3.5 days with kids in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted