We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

Hi, I plan to drive from Badesiedlung/Greifenstein via Mayerling and Cistercian Abbey to Vienna. I am hoping that this path through the Vienna Woods might be a scenic one. But, Maps.Google says that I should take the path of A22 and E59 to Mayerling. What is your opinion?

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna Woods
Vienna Woods
307 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
8 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,230 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

Of course drivng through a woodsy area is nicer than using expressways, but whether it is worth doing is up to you.

Be also aware that E-59 is not a national road number, it just an additional designator for an European corridor.

Google Maps usually determines the fastest route.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,254 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

Obviously the fastest way is the motorway which cuts through the woods, but the minor roads are more scenic. I presume you mean Heiligenkreuz abbey?

Mentioned in this post
Heiligenkreuz Abbey
Heiligenkreuz Abbey
109 Reviews
Heiligenkreuz, Austria
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

Yes, I plan to leave Greifenstein in the morning, visiting Cistercian Abbey Stift Heiligenkreuz before noon, then continue driving eastbound and visit the Schonbrunn Zoo in the afternoon. For the morning portion, Google gives 3 options (1) via Motorway along Danube then westbound on A21, 54min/58KM, (2) via Vienna Woods and eastbound on A21, 60min/68KM, and (3) via B19 and A21, 61min/66KM. I plan to take the second option because it might be more scenic and relaxing. I am seeking your comment on this choice, and appreciate it very much if you would advise on any point I should stop. Below is the three paths identified by Google. Thank you.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Greifenstein,+3422+Sankt+Andr%C3%A4-W%C3%B6rdern,+Austria/Cistercian+Abbey+Stift+Heiligenkreuz,+Heiligenkreuz+1,+2532+Heiligenkreuz+im+Wienerwald,+Austria/@48.189183,16.0453455,11z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x476d0da8846473d7:0x4b8cffbbf6fa4996!2m2!1d16.2313!2d48.34281!1m5!1m1!1s0x476dbb4e9d5e4a19:0xe3500987540795db!2m2!1d16.1308127!2d48.0553409!3e0!5i1

Mentioned in this post
Vienna Woods
Vienna Woods
307 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
Wienerwald
Wienerwald
478 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,230 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

I would probably drive on local roads, going via Breitenfurt, look here: https://goo.gl/maps/qd2zrrn5GGp

Not many sights along this route I know of, so just go to the abbey.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

Thank you. I will follow your advice via Breitenfurt. This is the shortest distance, 65min/49KM.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,230 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

I just realized that you could alternatively visit the abbey in Klosterneuburg, which would not force you to drive such a large detour, even if the drive was somehow worthwhile.

https://www.stift-klosterneuburg.at/

Edited: 10 June 2018, 05:12
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

Thank you for the advice. If we have time we would include the abbey in Klosterneuburg. Driving through the Vienna is a dream event for me. I look forward to the pleasant drive via Breitenfurt. Thank you again.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,230 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods

I hope that you won't be disappointed because I do not think that the views will be that breathtaking, it will just be a nice drive.

Reply to: Scenic Drive through the Vienna Woods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted