We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay December

england
Level Contributor
942 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay December

Hi all as a treat my cousin and I are hoping to visit the Christmas Market this year we are going Airbnb but no idea which is best and closest area to everything we don’t mind walking but I sometimes struggle as I have arthritis in my knees so up to 30 mins ideal realistically

Many thanks in advance

12 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,685 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay December

Stay in the center, preferably anywhere within this area:

https://goo.gl/maps/ELSPtHcdsv32

england
Level Contributor
942 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay December

Brilliant thank you

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay December

“Center” – brilliant answer Michael – what’s happening with you? You just push the buttons to do something? – You did better in the past.

Ok, the girls are not into walking (30 min. is joke) – walking starts, even on your phone beyond 6000 steps, right? - So, be honest!!!

Most of the x-mas markets in Vienna (Inner City has 9 and Schoenbrunn 1) are between the KarlsplatzRathaus-area.

So, look for hotels on the city side of 1060/1070/1080 – like:

Hotel Beethoven; K+K Maria Theresia; Vienna Art; Sans Souci; 25hrs; Levante Parliament /quiet room), Mercure Josefshof; Feming’s fine Dining; Graf Stadion; Rathauspark . . . guests at Rathaus Wine & Design seem to be very happy with their choice too!

There are more hotels in that are, but you get the idea! – With your limited activity range you have at least 5 x-mas markets in reach!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Karlsplatz
Karlsplatz
438 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Rathaus
Rathaus
4,691 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Hotel Beethoven Vienna
Hotel Beethoven Vienna
1,513 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
The Levante Parliament
The Levante Parliament
922 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Hotel Graf Stadion
Hotel Graf Stadion
451 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,685 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay December

Walter, you are blabbering nonsense, again!

england
Level Contributor
942 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay December

Hi thank you we will be staying in Airbnb house but thank you for the options I will look at all of them esp where hotels located

Will be doing sightseeing too think we staying Friday to Monday x

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay December

Walter I worry about you sometimes. Attacking a much respected Destination Expert on this forum when he’s doing what he always does and giving good advice is bad enough. But to also have a dig at the OP over their walking difficulties is unforgivable. You owe both an apology!

england
Level Contributor
942 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay December

Hi Norman it’s ok I chose to ignore his comment about my walking issues as he obviously did not read my post properly I got the impression he would have said anything to have a dig at Michael so only read what he wanted to I have been on TA for many many years and realise that some people give excellent info others well they are who they are

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay December

Hi trimar. I think you are being generous. Your post was quite short and very clear so I doubt Walter (who lives half the year in the US) could have realistically misunderstood it!

To be honest Vienna is relatively compact. I have arthritic knees too and stay at Airbnb’s about 1-3 km from the absolute centre, Stephansplatz. I make sure they are near to a subway station or tram stop and get a transport pass. That way I never have to walk far and the cost of the pass is usually more than covered by the accommodation savings.

Look at districts 2-9 and you won’t go far wrong. Ask us about any specific addresses (always obtainable by messaging the hosts; if they aren’t forthcoming they’ve something to hide) and we’ll tell you if they are convenient or have neighbourhood problems.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 17:04
Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Stephansplatz
Stephansplatz
5,254 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
england
Level Contributor
942 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area to stay December

Hi thank you I have seen places in districts which through me lol but now I have a idea of where to look where did you stay?

Re my knees as said it depends some days I can walk for miles other days not so much but being a non driver I have no choice lol

Went to Budapest last Dec and walked for miles meds helped 😮

So we are looking at walking distance to most of the markets esp for coming back at night but the public transport seems easy to use too

Thank you once again

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area to stay December

Last few years in the 4th district, but that accommodation is no longer available. Trying a new apartment in the 4th this time. What are you looking for?

Reply to: Which area to stay December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted