We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

I am a big lover of trains and anything related to railways that I made it a point to visit every train museum in places I visit whenever one is available. Already visited the ones in Tokyo and Lucerne.

The question is this: if pressed for time and if I could only choose one between Technisches and Remise museums, which would you recommend? I understand both have large train collections.

I will be spending 3 full days in Vienna and while there I would have to split my time visiting 2 other museums (3 if I include the interior of Schönbrunn), stroll around the city seeing the essential buildings, and sit in a coffeehouse. I know it's a cramped schedule but I have limited vacation time.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
8 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

If you are into trains, then Technisches Museum is probably the better choice. Remise is much more focused on urban public transport - they also have horse-drawn trams, buses etc. - while Technisches Museum boasts a quite impressive collection of railway engines and rolling stock.

If you had more time you might like to venture out to the "Heizhaus" in Straßhof, which has a large collection of steam engines. Their next "steam day" is on June 24th. But with only three days in Vienna I would not recommend it.

Mentioned in this post
Technisches Museum
Technisches Museum
780 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,685 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

Going to the Technisches Museum would probably be more worthwhile, also because the whole presentation is more impressive.

https:/…lok-adventure

Mentioned in this post
Technisches Museum
Technisches Museum
780 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

Thank you for the replies. So I guess Technisches Museum would be the better choice. Besides having a superior train collection, I would enjoy other non-train stuffs.

Would half a day be enough to see everything?

Mentioned in this post
Technisches Museum
Technisches Museum
780 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

Yes, half a day should suffice, unless you plan to read EVERY caption.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

For the railway collection, half a day is fine.

I very much liked the Remise, but it's more the close (and well explained) connection of the exhibit's to Vienna's history from the end of the 19th century until today which is impressive. So I agree that the Technisches Museum would be more interesting for a railway lover.

Mentioned in this post
Technisches Museum
Technisches Museum
780 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

I’m not so sure, whether the Technische Museum is the best choice – there are only 6-10 or so examples of rail-technology there. Yes, the oldest steam engine outside GB and some other early relicts. But for a bigger collection you would have to go outside Vienna. The TM is close to Schoenbrunn, so it can be better included in a tight sightseeing program.

The Remise shows a wider spectrum of city rail-transportation at a former working depot.

I think both are not what a “steam-enthusiast” is looking for.

But, thanks for coming up with a “new” request!

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

You are right, of course - the TM is good, but not a steam enthusiast's dream. But as I said, Straßhof is too far for his limited time.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,487 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?

I don’t recall the OP saying they had to be steam trains.

Reply to: Museum of Technology or Remise Transport Museum?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted