We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By train from Copenhagen to Wien, tips along the way?

1 post
Save Topic
By train from Copenhagen to Wien, tips along the way?

We are a couple travelling from Copenhagen on a monday, and wish to end up in Wien by thursday night or friday morning (giving us 4 full days and one night for travel). We would like to take the train, and see some stuff along the way.

Does anyone have any tips as to where to stop, and how to get around? I see there are some night trains and different companies, so I'm not sure where to start! We have been to Prague before, so would like to do another route than by Prague (unless its too inconvenient to not go by Prague).

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
4 replies to this topic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,544 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: By train from Copenhagen to Wien, tips along the way?

You can do all of this one one (long) day if you want, with changes in Hamburg and Würzburg/Fulda. The fully flexible, walk-up price is EUR244,80, but you can book this for much cheaper in advance - from about €100 or even less. You can specify stop-off points on the way (up to a maximum of 48 hours), and Hamburg as as good a place as any. Fulda is nice as well.

Book using www.bahn.com and play around with the options. It appears you can only book two months in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Fulda
Fulda
Hesse, Germany
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
25,195 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: By train from Copenhagen to Wien, tips along the way?

Since great parts of this trip do not take place in Austria, it is better to ask this question in the Denmark and Germany forums.

Besides that, I would study maps in order to see which cities and towns are located in the possible corridors. It is impossible to arrange such a journey without doing a comprehensive research.

I would probably go from Copenhagen to Hamburg and/or Berlin, and fly from there to Vienna.

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: By train from Copenhagen to Wien, tips along the way?

Response #2 has good advice and helpful information. Likewise response #1 is good for different matters just as important however. Many places to stop and it depends on your tastes and preferences or priorities. Read about the areas that might interest you and identify or itemize your priorities and match these with your personal travel goals. Other forums might provide more information to help you decide. Alternative routes are available. Look at maps and estimate distances and time allotted to stay at the places you decide to visit. Much of your long train voyage will likely pass through Germany. Choose carefully. Geography of that country is varied. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: By train from Copenhagen to Wien, tips along the way?

I see connections via HamburgFulda – Würzburg/MunichSalzburgVienna.

All of those cities are worth a closer look – Fulda and Würzburg would make a nice short stop of a few hours – Hamburg may deserve a longer stay. For an overnight I would suggest Würzburg and/or Salzburg.

Landscape gets more interesting the farther south you go.

Mentioned in this post
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Fulda
Fulda
Hesse, Germany
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Reply to: By train from Copenhagen to Wien, tips along the way?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;