We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle service

Suffern, New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle service

Has anyone used the shuttle service called Ondaytrip.com? Are they reliable? I want to use private service from Prague to Vienna to Budapest, and back to Prague. They seem most reasonable and their web site looks very complete with side trips.

Vienna
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle service

230 Euros from Prague to Vienna. A first class train ride costs a lot less. I guess it is your call - normally people take trains.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle service

I agree with Salzburger unless you travel in a group of 5 or 6.

If you do it with a van, make something of it – use your flexibility to see something in between the big cities like Česki Krumlov or Telč, Rust and/or Lake Neusiedel etc.

Just to connect the big cities is best done by train!

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle service

Has anyone had actual experience with ondaytrip.com?

While there has been a few question on various forum about them, there were no post from folks who had actually used their services. I have read posts that give alternatives to ondaytrip.com but no one seem to have had any actual experience with them.

Their website seem to indicate that they cover inter-city transfers from many cities in central Europe. Their corporate site indicate that they are an start up based in London. I am interested in using their services and would love to hear of any experience using this service.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle service

May I ask why you do not want to rely on trains which are used by the vast majority of visitors? It is a safe, clean, fast, reliable and reasonably priced way to travel between cities.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle service

Michael:

I will be traveling with my family of 4. We would have been on the moved for 20 hour by the time we reach Budapest. I have read that public transport to the train station involves a bus and then a train and a transfer to a second train to get me to the train station. We would all be doing this with our luggage in toll. Then depending on what time I get to the train station, purchase tickets, I may have to wait for the right train to Vienna. At the other end, I will have to navigate yet another unfamiliar transit system to get to my hotel or to find a car that will accommodate 4 with luggage.

The alternative is to hire a car that will meet me at the airport. We pile in and we are off. The financial cost of public transport is around 100 EUR. This amount is higher if I use a car service at either end. The car service quoted by ondaytrip.com is about $200 EUR. So for 100 EUR more, I am willing to pay to eliminate some of the hassle I perceived above. I will get from door to door and I plan to have a stop added on the way to Vienna which while possible with public transport, will be difficult.

What I am looking for is to assess the reliability of ondaytrip.com. So far I seem to be having little luck.

PM

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,247 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle service

PM Pak M....are you one and the same?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle service

Your source is wrong. You just have to take one train to Vienna's Main Railway Station ("Wien-Hauptbhanhof") where trains to the North (e.g. Prague) and the East (e.g. Budapest) leave from. Besides the train services there are also direct buses, check on the website of Vienna Airport.

www.viennaairport.at

If you nonetheless feel that taking public transport is too complicated and if you are willing to pay more for individual transportation, what shouldn't be much more expensive considering a group of four persons. well then go for it!

Edited: 06 August 2016, 22:31
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,970 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle service

Michael, the latest poster with two identities (?) seems to be flying into Budapest then transferring to Vienna so their concern is getting from Budapest airport to the main train station. But with all that potential hassle I wonder why they didn't opt to fly into Vienna!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,454 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle service

Yep, I somehow assumed that the poster was arriving at Vienna Airport, also because the question was asked in the Vienna forum.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle service

To the original poster, did you ever use the ondaytrip service? I too am considering it for travel from Budapest to Vienna. We are traveling on New Years Eve with daughters ages 11 and14 and At this moment, the only train I see is at 5:40 AM. Maybe I am not looking at the correct information but that's earlier than I'd like to leave on vacation. Not to mention, the cost would be over $400 for the whole family and we'd have to get ourselves to the train station dragging our luggage. The car service would cost $332, will pick us up at our hotel, we have the option to stop at sites along the way and then will deliver us to our hotel in Vienna.

Our other option is a bus that has plenty of trip times and is half the price but offers no stops along the way and we'd still have the dragging our luggage to the bus stop in Budapest and to the hotel in Vienna.

The Ondaytrip sounds great but since it appears to be a newer company I'm finding very few reviews. Hoping you had a great trip and can offer some insight.

Thanks!