We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

I've just booked flights to Bergen from 18 Oct to 23 Oct - 5 nights. Would appreciate your thoughts on whether we should base ourselves in Bergen and take day trips? We would really like to take a ferry and or train to see the fjords and mountains, so should we have a night or two somewhere else as well? I haven't a clue where to start so would really appreciate any suggestions. We don't plan to hire a car, so public transport is our preferred option. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
11 replies to this topic
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

By October the only trip to the fjords by public transport is the Norway in a Nutshell - https://www.norwaynutshell.com and the Hardangerfjord express - https:/….

5 nights is only 4 days, arrival and departure days are rarely productive. You need a couple of days in Bergen, though expect weather to be cool and wet. There are few tourists around in October and places will have begun to close for the winter.

4 days is not really enough time to include another city when you have to return to Bergen to fly out - it would have been better to fly with an open jaw ticket in Bergen out Oslo, then you could have included Oslo in your tour. https://www.visitbergen.com

Edited: 07 June 2018, 23:53
Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

Hi. Yes, Appreciate timing isn't great, but we are flying direct from our home town of Inverness, Scotland so flying back from Oslo wasn't an option. Sounds like you might be suggesting that day trips from Bergen is what we should consider? In that case, I should probably ask my questions on the Bergen forum. Thanks for the links, too, they are really helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

Please stick with this thread now - everyone reads the main Norway forum and all the threads show on that whichever sub forum you post on.

Your limitation is public transport out of season and short time. It would be better if you could hire a car. You could also consider a trip on the Hurtigruten - but it doesn't come cheap.

You could have got a connecting flight from Oslo through Bergen to Inverness with Widerøe.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

Thank you Dyoll. I can see that we've probably been a bit to quick to book our flights and should have given more thought to the dates. I've just found out that the Bergen Railway is closed for infrastructure work while we are there, so the Norway in a Nutshell Tour isn't available. I think I will need to sign off and do more research. Thank you so much for responding to my questions. Much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
The Bergen Railway
The Bergen Railway
2,229 Reviews
Oslo, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,944 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

You can piece together something on buses and boats equivalent to a Norway in a Nuthell and Hardangerfjord in a Nutshell combo even if the trains are not running. Flåm Railway will probably be running between Flåm and Myrdal and you can get to Flåm/Gudvangen on bus and ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Myrdal
Myrdal
Hordaland, Norway
Gudvangen
Gudvangen
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

That's really helpful, thank you. I'll take a look at that. Perhaps all is not lost after all. Do you think it's worth taking a couple of days to do this and staying overnight somewhere on the route?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,944 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

That would depend on your preferences on city versus countryside. Since trains are not running you may have to backtrack a bit though.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

You always have the Rødne Mostraumen cruise as a time efficient option, departure 10.00 and 14.00 from downtown Bergen, duration ca 3 hrs.

https:/…

https:/…60146-Rygercruise-tur_RED.jpg

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

We really do want to be in the nature and to do this by public transport would be our first preference. Are there any public ferries that would give us the fjord experience?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,944 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with itinerary - 5 nights flying in and out of Bergen

The ferry on the Nærøyfjord between Flåm and Gudvangen runs all year as do the Hardangerfjord express to Rosendal (with bus connection onwards to Odda) and the Norled express to Balestrand/Sogndal/Flåm.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 02:43
Mentioned in this post
Gudvangen
Gudvangen
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Rosendal
Rosendal
Kvinnherad Municipality, Norway
Odda
Odda
Hardanger, Norway
Norled