We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

False damages claim by car rental

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
False damages claim by car rental

Hi,

I have recently returned from a fabulous trip to Norway. We rented cars on two occasions and drove around in the fjord areas and Lofoten Islands.

Our 2nd rental was from Budget (Avis) car rental at the Harstad-Evenes airport. During the 3 days of rental, there was no incident / accident or issues. I have CDW coverage on my US credit card, and so I had not taken any CDW from them. However, a basic CDW was included in the Base Rate by default, with an excess of 10,000 NOK.

Last night, I received a 2-page invoice from them for the amount of about 9,940 NOK for some damages and loss of use. Consequently, they have already charged my credit card for it. This is clearly a bait to fleece me as I am positive that no damages were done to the car during my possession.

When I reached out to them, they shared photos showing a mark less than 0.5 inch, which they claim was during my possession, and probably caused by a small stone dislodged from a car in front of me when driving.

While I have asked them to show timestamped photos from before and after, and repair estimates from the paint shop with usage logs, I wanted to know if there is are authorities in Norway I can involve in case they still pursue the damages (and if my credit card issuer denies the claim). Any other suggestions are really welcome.

I almost always take photographs before and after, but this was the one time I missed on this because of an urgency at the time of taking the car and fatigue when returning. I am hoping my credit card company does not deny the claim simply because there was some insurance included in the Base Rate.

Thank you !

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Lofoten Islands
Lofoten Islands
Nordland, Norway
Harstad
Harstad
Troms, Norway
6 replies to this topic
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: False damages claim by car rental

Check with your card insurance first then.

The only course if the company rejects your complaint is the consumer council in Norway.

https:/… Open in Chrome browser for translation.

There are few complaints on the Norway forum concerning car hire - there is no regular scam - but some damage occurred at some point - did you drop the key off to an unmanned counter?

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: False damages claim by car rental

Yes. I had to, since there was no one at the airport Avis counter (regular work hours. Around 1pm in the afternoon), and I had to catch my flight. They have a key dro box.

There was no representative at the parking lot as well, either at the time of pick-up or drop off.

Michigan
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: False damages claim by car rental

Did you contact the american head office?

As its an american company.. you'll probably get good customer service and much faster/logical answers.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: False damages claim by car rental

At these small locations the hire company will be a franchise operating out of a local car dealers - not sure how much help the head office will be.

Unfortunately the circumstances are not in your favour. Not declining CDW, not checking the car properly on pick-up and return.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: False damages claim by car rental

I'll reach out to the American office to see if they can help. Thanks for the idea.

I did not have an option to remove the base CDW as it was part of the base rate. I had declined their super CDW :(

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: False damages claim by car rental

Declining CDW is not common as Europeans can't use credit card insurance or own car insurance for hire cars. It is possible to decline the CDW but probably requires that you call them and not just rely on international booking site - these are just small franchise operations.

In which case you would still be charged for the damage but your credit card would reimburse for part of the cost - not loss of use. You would need to collect the appropriate paperwork for the claim.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 22:21
Reply to: False damages claim by car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted