We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lofoten - Pre-book or last minute accommodation?

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lofoten - Pre-book or last minute accommodation?

Hi, we are a couple from Australia (28 & 29) flying in and out of Evenes Airport in mid-October. We will be hiring and returning a car here and travelling 4 days / 3 nights around Lofoten Islands. We understand that it will be quite a lot of driving to see all the sites. My question is, do we have to pre-book accommodation or at this time of year would it be okay to pull up in the towns and get last-minute accommodation? We would prefer to not restrict ourselves to a set itinerary. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Lofoten Islands
Lofoten Islands
Nordland, Norway
Oslo Combo Tour: Grand City Tour and...
121 Reviews
from US$81.20*
Free Cancellation
City Sightseeing Oslo Hop-On Hop-Off...
229 Reviews
from US$41.43*
Free Cancellation
Alesund Shore Excursion: From Fjords...
41 Reviews
from US$130.70*
2 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,890 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lofoten - Pre-book or last minute accommodation?

There is not a lot of accomodation to choose from in the first place and some close for the season. Few options outside Svolvær stay open all year.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,474 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lofoten - Pre-book or last minute accommodation?

I would definitely pre-book. However, Lofoten are not that big. So it's fine to have a base and drive around from there. And as Klima says there are far less option outside the summer (although I think it tends to increase in winter). Coming from Evenes and with only 3 nights, maybe one night in Svolvaer/Henningsvaer, one night in Reine/Hamnoy and last night in Svolvaer again (or 2 nights in Reine and a long drive on the last day, it also depends on the timing of your return trip, if it is early consider spending the last night near the airport.

3 nights is actually 2 full days, not 4. This short timing and the weather will shape your itinerary a lot more than where you stay. Mid-october you can get some early snow. I don't think there is a set list of must-see sites in Lofoten (there are sites given in guide books, but Lofoten are beautiful everywhere, and in 2 days you won't see it all anyway). Just drive around where the weathere takes you.

Mentioned in this post
Svolvaer
Svolvaer
Vagan, Norway
Henningsvaer
Henningsvaer
Vagan, Norway
Reine
Reine
Moskenesoy, Norway
Lofoten Islands
Lofoten Islands
Nordland, Norway
Reply to: Lofoten - Pre-book or last minute accommodation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted