We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking trails in northern parts of Norway

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking trails in northern parts of Norway

Hi all,

I am going to Norway with my wife at mid-July.

Looking around the internet it was very easy to find multi-day hikes in the mid area of Norway (Dovrefjell, Trollheimen), but I'm having a hard time finding northern routes.

I looked through ut.no and while there are many routes there that look beautiful (like this, https://www.ut.no/tur/2.21918/ for example) it's very hard to understand if the trail is marked, what exactly are the stops, is it popular, etc.

Are there any "popular" known multi-day hikes around the northern part of Norway?

I'm not talking about super packed 100 people a day multi day hikes, but something that we won't be completely alone when we do in high season?

We're looking for well marked routes, medium difficulty (we're somewhat experienced, but not glacier-walking mountain-climbing experienced..) that won't be completely empty during high season. (huts preferred, but not a must as we do have our own tent)

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
6 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking trails in northern parts of Norway

Narvikfjellene or Nordkalottruten perhaps.

Oslo
Level Contributor
16,557 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking trails in northern parts of Norway

Not sure what you mean by stops, but key points on the map are lodges (DNT) and trailheads at road/railway.

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking trails in northern parts of Norway

Thank you for your response!

for Nordkalottruten - it looks amazing, we want to hike for around 4-5 days (forgot to mention it), the trail is 800km :-) are there any parts of it that you would recommend to do that are about that long?

for Narvikfjellene - the only information I was able to find is this: https://www.ut.no/tur/2.4608/ - is this the one?

Roy.

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking trails in northern parts of Norway

OsloViking, thanks for the response. Now that I opened the big map I was able to spot the huts (that's what I was referring to as stops), however I'm still not sure whether the path is marked and if the trail is recommended and popular.

Thanks!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking trails in northern parts of Norway

The paths (sommerstier) are marked in red on the map, to the left there are boxes to tick/untick so that the map shows what you need.

Perhaps contact Narvik Turlag.

Mentioned in this post
Narvik
Narvik
Narvik Municipality, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply