We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

Hi there, We'll be arriving at Bergen in September, spend a day there and then go on a 3 day road trip with a rental car, eventually we'll return to Bergen for another day before leaving the country. I have a few questions for you, if you could kindly help that'd be much appreciated!

Question 1: Tips for the road trip- Our current plan: Day 1: Driving from Bergen to Flam area, continue toward Lærdalsøyri and spend the first night there.

Day 2: Drive on route 5 toward Skei and continue on route E39 toward Lavik.

Day 3: Starting going south from Lavik and end up sleeping outside/close to Bergen as we need to return the car in the morning after.

Can you kindly recommend things to see/do along, or just by our route? We don't mind going out and back in of our route. In fact, that's the plan as it's only 2-3 hours drive a day. Any recommendations to alter the route (for example going on route 55 instead of 5?)

Question 2: With regards to tolls roads- I see there are two toll roads on our route. One on E16 tunnel from around Dale area going east and the second one is on E39 entering Bergen on our way back. How much do these cost each and is it worth avoiding them?

Question 3: With regards to Ferries- I see we have two ferries, one Fodnes-Mannheller and the other Lavik-Oppedal. Any idea how much do these cost? Do you pay in cash/card as you arrive?

Many thanks in advance! I really appreciate it.

13 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,136 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

2) Tolls generally can’t be avoided, they are automatic and will be charged to your car hire.

3) Ferries can be paid by card. Google «ferry» and names of end points for details.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

Thanks!

I've found the tolls and the ferries.

For ferry: if we have a car and we are two adults do we pay car+adult?

Thanks for clarification.

As for tolls - my only concern is that the car hire company will charge us extra for processing or alternatively ask us to pay for Auto Pass device.. Any clues? I've had bad experience in the past with such companies.

Many thanks, dyoll

Oslo
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

On ferries you generally pay for car (with driver) plus passengers. Passenger tickets are usually modest, like 30-40 kroner.

From Sogndal I would go road 5 to Skei.

Aurland mt road (Aurland-Lærdalsøyri) instead of E16 tunnel is a nice detour, but perhaps you want to drive the tunnel too.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,136 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

The car hire co. will doubtless charge you a fee in addition to the tolls but it can’t be avoided. For information ask the car hire company.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 22:07
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

Yes we were thinking of Aurland-Lærdalsøyri through the mountains. Sounds lovely!

Any recommendations for specific places to see along our route? nice view points of the fjords, nice towns, special attractions?

Many thanks to you all!

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

Q1: Consider driving Fv7 via Hardanger - much more scenic than E16, and one hour longer. The attraction is the drive itself, however a popular stop is Steinsdalsfossen waterfall just before you drive into Norheimsund. It's a short walk from the road, and you can walk in behind the waterfall! https://goo.gl/maps/2q8Wu1sftz52

Norwegian towns are in general not very beautiful, an exception is Lærdalsøyri, so good pick. Another example is Fjærland, by Rv5 towards Skei. Unfortunately, Skei is not an exception, but the scenery is beautiful! Consider a trip to Astruptunet: https:/…

Q2: The rental car company will probably give you the choice between being charged afterwards, or pay up a fixed fee in advance, which I always do. All cars have Auto Pass tag fitted.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

Thank you very much drengen!

I was thinking of FV7, apparently not only it's not a toll road but you actually get to have another scenic drive :)

Thanks for the other tips too! Sounds really great.

The aim is to enjoy the ride and stop to watch the view.

Are there any interesting high points that overlook fjords along our trip or near by or short (1-2h) hikes?

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,136 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

Tolls will be a very small part of your hire costs and fuel. Nothing to be worried about - they are not toll roads as such, but major infrastructure improvements are paid for through tolls. Typically NOK 20 - 30, though Hardanger bridge is NOK 150.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

Actually, it's 3 turnpikes along Fv7/Rv13 towards Voss ;).

Stegastein, between Aurland and Lærdal is a good place to stop for a view: https:/…

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls

To be honest, I don't mind paying for toll. It's the car hire rental that scares me as I've received all sorts of fees and charges before, but I'll make sure we clear that out as we pick up the car - thanks for clarifying that!

If the drive on FV7 is nicer - we'll take that. I'm guessing the tunnel isn't that interesting...

Thank you so much for the tips about the way. The waterfall and the towns looks amazing!

You suggest skipping Skei and going straight on FV451 via Astruptunet?

Also, do you recommend going through Vik or throuh Forde on the way back south?

We'll probably cross at Lavik unless you recommend Leirvik better.

Thanks again and feel free to share more of your personal ideas and insights. It is very much appreciated!

Reply to: Tips for western Norway road trip and questions about tolls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted