We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Norway with a baby

Central Poland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Norway with a baby

Hi guys

We are very keen on visiting Norway with our 10 month old baby. Our best option is to fly into Oslo from where we live but we are keener on the more rural areas and would like to leave the capital as soon as possible. We will rent a car (Crazy money compared to anywhere else I've rented so any tips here would also be appreciated!)

Without child we would be jumping around here there and everywhere but realistically we would want to stay in the same place as a base and just drive to various places of interest at a slower pace. With Oslo being so far east and a lot of the sights being more towards the West I understand that there would need to be a drive and stopover or train ride to reach the West.

We are just a little lost as to how best to structure as it will be our first visit to what looks like an absurdly beautiful country.

Help please!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
8 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,420 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Norway with a baby

If you would like to save a bit on the driving, consider flying in and out of Bergen. Save money by renting a self catering cottage by the week on airbnb, Novasol;HomeAway etc. in one of the closer fjord areas/regions like the Hardangerfjord or the south side of the Sognefjord.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Central Poland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Norway with a baby

Hi

Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately Bergen is not an option from the airports here. To get to Bergen or Alesund direct I would need to drive for 5hrs and my logic is why drive here when I can drive in Norway! (apart from cost which I'm coming to terms with slowly..)

The logistics of arriving and leaving via Oslo but wanting to see the Fjords is where I'm falling down..

Many thanks

Costa

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Alesund
Alesund
More og Romsdal, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,420 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Norway with a baby

Your location says London - are you confusing us ? Our "airports here" do not tell us much !

Edited: 12 June 2018, 16:17
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Central Poland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in Norway with a baby

Ah sorry. I'll be flying from Poland not from London! I'll get it changed!

Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
London
London
England, UK
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,420 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Norway with a baby

Poland is a large country with many airports. Many have direct options to Bergen though.

Mentioned in this post
Poland
Poland
Europe
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Central Poland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in Norway with a baby

Only Gdansk has a direct flight over the period I wish to go but it is a 5 hour journey from where I am. I would rather drive the 5 hours in Norway and make it part of the sightseeing than spend it on the motorways here.

Mentioned in this post
Gdansk
Gdansk
Pomerania Province, Poland
Norway
Norway
Europe
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,420 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days in Norway with a baby

Airport page is listing 5 Polish cities with direct flights - maybe not on a daily basis, but perhaps a combo ?

https:/…directflights

Norwegian and Wizz fly as far as I can remember.

From Oslo you can drive to the Hardangerfjord area or the Sognefjord area in one short day, but better be in Oslo for your flight out and maybe a stopover on arrival depending on the arrival of your flight.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 18:51
Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Central Poland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days in Norway with a baby

It has to be Oslo for the days that work for us. I was thinking a stopover each way to either Bergen or Alesund area. There is too much to see and too little time unfortunately.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Alesund
Alesund
More og Romsdal, Norway
Reply to: 8 days in Norway with a baby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted