We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Norway with No Car

1 post
Save Topic
Getting around Norway with No Car

Hi, I am 17 years old and will be travelling to Norway at the end of this month. I will be travelling by myself but I have a good friend who I will meet up with halfway through my trip. Together we booked an airbnb in Lofoten for 2 nights, and we are going to book another airbnb in Lofoten for a few more nights. I expect to be there from the 30th to the 5th or 6th. I have not bought my flight tickets yet but I am hoping to leave around June 21-24 and return around July 9-11.

My friend lives in Brønnøysund and she has a car so we will roadtrip from there to Lofoten. I will have around a week before I need to be in Brønnøysund so I am looking to fly in further south either to Bergen or Oslo and go to places like Trolltunga, Besseggen Ridge, Norangsdal Valley, and Dovrefjell. I am a decently experienced hiker, and in good physical condition. Because I wont have a car for this portion of the trip, I am struggling to find recources to find transportation around Norway.

If you guys have any advice on recources to find transportation, or other routes and places to visit that is more realistic/possible, please let me know.

7 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Norway with No Car

Your list is too long for just one week - narrow down.

National travel planner

http://entur.org

Edited: 13 June 2018, 15:01
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,428 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Norway with No Car

I wonder if there will be issues with finding accomodation for a minor travelling solo? I don't know how it is in Norway. In France for instance many hotels will not easily rent a room for a solo 17 year-old.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Norway with No Car

Good point Soph, a minor cannot register or book on airbnb and third party bookings are against the terms and conditions.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,531 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Norway with No Car

Camping/cabins - but then you need a car for access.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Norway with No Car

Do you need a car for accesss a camp site..?

What about a cyclist with the tent..;)

So, I guess it’s allowed to set up a tent or rent a cabin if you’re a hitchhiker too...

Edited: 13 June 2018, 17:26
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Norway with No Car

And there’s also youth hostels in the cities, for teenagers too..;)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Norway with No Car

Skipping Trolltunga and go north from Oslo on the railways to Besseggen and Dovre, then continue north by rail might make most sense in this case.

I suppose hiking lodges would accept minors.

Reply to: Getting around Norway with No Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted