We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nutshell transportation pacakges?

Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
nutshell transportation pacakges?

Hi, I am planning for a group of 3 women to go to Norway in July after our trip to Iceland. We want to go oslo for one night then take the nutshell train to Flam for one night . Then carry on the nutshell to Balestrand for one night. Then last leg of nutshell to Bergen for 2 nights and then take bus to Stavenger for 2 nights so that we can hike Pulpit rock. Does this sound like a good plan? What should we plan on incorporating into our plan to get the most of our 7 days ? I'm a pretty good planner usually but the transportation part seems daunting on my own. I just want to use fjord tours of something to arrange the Nutshell "tour" . We are from the USA is there a tour company someone can recommend who sales the Norway in a nutshell packages. I believe the one we would do Is actually called Snogfjord in a nutshell. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Balestrand
Balestrand
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Pulpit Rock
Pulpit Rock
2,526 Reviews
Stavanger, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

You are simply planning an extended Sognefjord in a Nutshel, should not be a problem at all. But it is still to early to arrange. Wait till next year and the timetables might be in place.

Edited: 10 November 2016, 09:40
Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

After reading more so you like my original plan or so you think my time would be better spent staying in Flam a couple nights , skipping Balestrand and just doing the Norway in a nutshell tour.

Mentioned in this post
Flam
Flam
Balestrand
Balestrand
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

Flåm is ok for hikes and activities, but it is a busy cruise port.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,105 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

There is no need to stay in Flåm unless you are planning activities there. Take the standard Nutshell to Bergen and give yourselves an extra day.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

The Norway in a Nutshell package (and variants) are sold by Fjord Tours : https://www.norwaynutshell.com/

It is all done by public transport so you may be able to DIY (booking each transport leg separately). There may be a little bit more flexibility this way (and some savings, only on the train if you can get your hand on minipris tickets by buying them 90 days in advance on nsb.no ). However last year in high season the Minipris were not all that cheap, and convenient timings for some of the transport legs were all booked up in advance by FjordTours so not available to DIY passengers.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Fjord Tours
Fjord Tours
1,943 Reviews
Bergen, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,105 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

There is not a great deal of flexibility in the NiN as there are few buses from Gudvangen to Voss. If you want to book this diy then wait until timetables for the bus are published.

FjordTours is a sister company of the tourist office and has full control over this tour - there is no point looking for another reseller, who will only add to the cost and fragment responsibility in case of problems.

Apart from a possible small saving on the train fare (as FjordTours sell only full price refundable rail tickets) there is little difference in price between diy and FjordTours. Outside the summer season cheaper rail tickets make diy worthwhile.

Mentioned in this post
Gudvangen
Gudvangen
Voss
Voss
56 Reviews
Western Norway, Norway
Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

Ok Thanks, I will wait 90 days before and book transportation of Fjord tours for ease! But I cant decide between original nutshell tour and Snogefjord nutshell. We are not dead set on seeing Balestrand but more so if we would enjoy the Naeroyfjord ferry for its unique beauty or the Snogefjord ferry better. The SIN doesn't got on the branch of the Naerofjord. Also do you think the schelp down to Stavenger is worth the time? My travel companion is really dead set on wanting to Climb pulpit rock.

Mentioned in this post
Balestrand
Balestrand
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Naeroyfjord
Naeroyfjord
146 Reviews
Western Norway, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,105 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

You can probably book through FjordTours more than 90 days in advance. 90 days is earliest you can book rail if diy.

NiN includes Stalheimskleiva and Nærøyfjord. SIN a 5 hr ride in an express boat along the wide Sognefjord - I don't see the attraction.

Bus trip to Stavanger is reasonably scenic with a couple of ferry crossings where you can get out and stretch legs. You could probably do Bergen - Stavanger return in 2 days if staying at the Preikestolen lodge. That would give you an early start and miss most of the crowds on the way there.

Mentioned in this post
Stavanger
Stavanger
Stavanger Municipality, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
9. Re: nutshell transportation pacakges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2017, 13:16