We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best snowmobile operator

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Best snowmobile operator

Hi guys and girls,

I’m visiting tromso mid February, could anyone please give me some info on best companies, preferably if there’s any company where it’s not just one slow drive following a track. Would love to be able to go a bit fast and have fun when possible as I’ve been looking and a lot of reviews on ones I’ve found say they’re all in a line and all go pretty slow along a route which is fine if there’s no other option but would like to be a bit more adventurous :)

Thanks

Rob

9 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,680 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Best snowmobile operator

Snowmobiling in Norway is restricted to providers with a tourist licence, there are only a few and it should be an easy task to seek out their reviews,

For more extensive freeriding you need to look to Sweden.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Best snowmobile operator

In general snowmobile use in Norway is restricted to necessary work and not recreation. i.e. We don’t want petrol heads driving round and destroying the peace and tranquility of the countryside and putting others in danger. There are fewer restrictions in the far north, but the priciple is the same. As you probably don’t have a licence to drive a snowmobile or the experience to drive safely you are restricted to tour groups.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Best snowmobile operator

Well of course I don’t mean driving around like a nutter but just looking for one that doesn’t necessarily trundle a long and may have a route that’s a bit more interesting rather than follow the same track every day

Edited: 12 November 2018, 20:29
Lomen, Norway
Level Contributor
110 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Best snowmobile operator

Please note that dyolls opinion of snowmobiling doesn't reflect the opinion of all Norwegians. Many Norwegians want to open up snowmobile trails that can be used for recreational snowmobiling.

In regards to your question, I can't help you since I'm not familiar in the region.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,680 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Best snowmobile operator

In any case, there are only a few providers, so should be relatively easy to research.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,478 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Best snowmobile operator

Snowmobiling is certainly controversial, but opinions are divided.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Best snowmobile operator

It wasn’t meant as an opinion, it’s the law as it is now.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,478 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: Best snowmobile operator

In Norway, snowmobiling in the wilderness is restricted by Law. Sweden has more liberal rules.

Southern Wales...
Level Contributor
119 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Best snowmobile operator

I think ull find nearly all snowmobile tours are the same as in you all follow in the same line with a guide leading you & 1 guide right at the very back its cos they know the path even tho all snowmobiles are tracked you could still end up in serious trouble you could end up falling down some holes in the unknown snow or anything really.

Reply to: Best snowmobile operator
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted