We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oslo airport - alcohol duty free at arrival

Zaragoza, Spain
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
oslo airport - alcohol duty free at arrival

Hi all

When I traveled to Reykjavik there was a huge duty-free at the arrival gate. Does the same thing exist in Oslo? Or should I buy the alcohol at the departure gates before getting onto the plane?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
4 replies to this topic
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oslo airport - alcohol duty free at arrival

Yes there is Duty Free upon arrival in Norway. You can buy the full Norwegian duty free allowance upon arrival (toll.no/en/goods/alcohol-and-tobacco/quotas/)

If coming from Spain you might find that most things are cheaper back home (with the possible exception of exclusive wines).

You can check prices and assortement here: http://www.tax-free.no/5106/produkter/ (only in Norwegian, I'm guessing they know their prices are too high for foreigners).

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,010 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oslo airport - alcohol duty free at arrival

Duty free alcohol prices in Oslo are competetive with other airport duty free shops. Always on the lookout for better deals, but rarely worth the hassle of carrying on the plane. An exception might be beer. But whether duty free prices are better than you can get in shops in Spain is another question. Just remember that duty free bottles are 1litre, while shops are 0.75 litres and you have to pack safely in checked in baggage - you won't be popular if a bottle breaks and damages other peoples luggage. Certainly not advised by airlines.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Spain
Spain
Europe
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo
Level Contributor
737 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: oslo airport - alcohol duty free at arrival

Wine prices at the Oslo duty free shop are generally not that competitive. There are some better deals to be had, but you really have to do the research. A few days ago, we were considering a particular bottle and checked the Vinmonopolet website only to find out that the full price with tax was only 8 NOK more than what the duty free shop was charging. Definitely not worth hauling the bottle into town for 8 NOK!

Most wines offer a savings that's close to the 45 NOK per-bottle tax, and a few offer even better deals. But there are definitely cases where the markup by the duty free shop eliminates the tax savings entirely.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
6 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oslo airport - alcohol duty free at arrival

I live in Oslo and I find that generally the prices in Oslo are more expensive than the duty frees of other airports. I usually buy at the departure duty free shop. Actually, most prices at Oslo airport are highly inflated and the service and quality leaves a lot to be desired, especially when it comes to food.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Oslo Airport
Oslo Airport
Gardermoen, Norway
Reply to: oslo airport - alcohol duty free at arrival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted