We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen to Alesund Iternary by car

7 posts
Save Topic
Bergen to Alesund Iternary by car

Seeking advice on a road trip from Bergen to Alesund in July with two children (pre-teen and teen).

We like to do a little hiking, exploring and kayaking.

Our itinerary right now is:

2 nights in Bergen hotel (we arrive late afternoon from the US).

2 nights near Aurland

1 night at Fjaerland

1 night at Geiranger

1 night in Alesund

I mapped out approximate travel time s, trying to keep driving point-to-point under 3 hours as much as possible (not including stops along the way!). Some of my choices are based upon availability. If I had planned sooner, I would have booked a place for at least 3 nights in a row.

Will we be missing out seeing more of the fjords by ferry or tours?

What might be some alternatives to less traveled locales along the way?

Are there some nice day hikes that afford a good experience without being too long or strenuous and without any ledges to pass along? I am not as fit as I would like to be.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Alesund
Alesund
More og Romsdal, Norway
Aurland Municipality
Aurland Municipality
Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Geiranger
Geiranger
Stranda, Norway
5 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,327 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen to Alesund Iternary by car

Check the tourist office pages or ask the locals/ your accomodation for suitable hikes. They are plentiful.

And you can abandon the fear of missing out - it is scenic everywhere.

Try and incorporate some of the scenic roads - the driving is the sightseeing

https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen to Alesund Iternary by car

Thank you! I am rethinking a bit to keep the trip more leisurely. I really want to see Alesund, but I may drop that and just see Bergen and the Sognefjord area. It will also reduce the cost by dropping the hefty one-way drop off fee.

Mentioned in this post
Alesund
Alesund
More og Romsdal, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergen to Alesund Iternary by car

I am getting a bit closer to finalizing our itinerary. Some of it is mediated by cost. If I do a round trip visit to Sognefjord area, how many nights is sufficient? We are staying in Fjaerland and Solvorn for 3 nights OR 4 nights with two kids (preteen & teen). We would like to do the following:

Glacier lake kayak and hike

Short hike & relax

Kaupanger-Gudvangen ferry

If possible, I would also like to see one of the stave churches in the area, drive some of the tourist routes as we go and maybe squeeze in the train between Flam-Myrdal along with the ferry trip or on our from or way back towards Bergen

Mentioned in this post
Gudvangen
Gudvangen
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Flam
Flam
Myrdal
Myrdal
Hordaland, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Wigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergen to Alesund Iternary by car

If you're taking the Kaupanger/Gudvangen ferry you will go past the stave church as you approach the ferry pier. It's on the left about 400 metres from the pier.

Also, if you're staying at Solvorn, the ferry goes from there to Urnes and it's a short walk up the hill to the beautiful stave church, possibly the oldest in Norway.

http://www.stavechurch.com/urnes-stavkirke/

Edited: yesterday, 21:25
Mentioned in this post
Gudvangen
Gudvangen
Norway
Norway
Europe
Wigan
Level Contributor
138 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bergen to Alesund Iternary by car

Sorry, my mistake. Kaupanger stave church is on the right as you drive towards the ferry pier. It's on a little loop of road just off the road to the pier but the church is visible as you approach it.

Reply to: Bergen to Alesund Iternary by car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted