We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

Hello

I am taking my elderly mother to Llandudno for a few days on my own. I am not all that strong and find it quite hard to push the wheelchair, especially up slopes. I am thinking of staying in a hotel on North Parade - Lauriston Court - but want to be sure that I will be able to get her there and back in the chair. It is difficult to see how sloped North Parade is on street view.

Can anyone advise?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Llandudno
Llandudno
Conwy County, UK
Lawton & Lauriston Court Hotel
Lawton & Lauriston Court...
2,619 Reviews
Llandudno, UK
Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
725 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

Hello I use to have the same challenge with my mother and I have just checked on Google map street view. The Lauriston Court is on the see front in a level area and should allow you easy access to all the see front and main shopping area.

it is though a building typical of the area in that it is Victorian and from what I can see it has five steps between the front door and the pavement. I also had a quick look at there web site and there is no mention of ground floor rooms which was something that I always use to need when I took my mum to Llandudno.

Mentioned in this post
2,619 Reviews
Llandudno, UK
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

The centre of Llandudno is flat but there are sloping roads towards Great Orme. Why not ring the hotel, who have won awards for their customer service as they are best placed to answer.

Mentioned in this post
Llandudno
Llandudno
Conwy County, UK
Great Orme
Great Orme
6,159 Reviews
Llandudno, UK
Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
645 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

North Parade is a very gently sloping road but at the point where the Lauriston Court is you'll barely even notice the slope. You should have no problem with a wheelchair at that point. Also most of Llandudno town centre is a flat as a pancake so you should be ok elsewhere as well.

If you look at a Google Map of Llandudno everywhere below/to the right of Gloddaeth Street/North Parade on the map is flat and everywhere above/to the left is on a slope, which starts off quite gently but once you reach the lower slopes of the Great Orme it gets very steep very quickly! It's also worth pointing out that the icon for the Lauriston Court on Google Maps is in the wrong place, it's actually located more or less just opposite the junction of Mostyn Crescent and North Parade.

Mentioned in this post
2,619 Reviews
Llandudno, UK
Llandudno
Llandudno
Conwy County, UK
Great Orme
Great Orme
6,159 Reviews
Llandudno, UK
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

The Lauriston Court Hotel looks very nice, it is on a slight incline from the level road area up towards the Hotel. There are steps up to the Hotel, but most Hotels conform to the “Disability Discrimination Act” and provide a Wheelchair access. All roads from Gloddaeth Avenue rise up hill to the Church Walks Area.

We love Llandudno, we like to take a break there every January, staying at The Empire Hotel. This year I pushed my Brother in Law around in a Wheel Chair, I consider myself fit and strong, but l didn’t find pushing a Wheel Chair around Llandudno an easy job.

There is a slope on the wide Promenade, from the seating area towards the Sea and I found the Chair continually pulled down towards the Sea. Likewise, the footpath on the Seaward side of the Main Shopping Street slopes towards the road and again the Chair continually pulled sideways down the slope.

I also found a number of the footpaths were not Wheelchair friendly, which I found very surprising, they had a slope on to them, but there was no slope to get off them.

People say, “Llandudno is as flat as a Pancake”, but pushing a Wheelchair around with an adult in it you very soon find this is not the case and it is hard work. I would select a Hotel with a very nice Lounge, enjoy your break and don’t plan to move around too much. See how you manage using a Wheel Chair near your home.

Edited: 27 March 2015, 04:17
Mentioned in this post
2,619 Reviews
Llandudno, UK
Llandudno
Llandudno
Conwy County, UK
Empire Hotel Llandudno
Empire Hotel Llandudno
1,044 Reviews
Llandudno, UK
Deganwy, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

Llandudno is mostly as flat as a pancake, but rises gently to the east and south-east and steeply to the north-west (even the cable car station is a steep push !). Most shops and theatres are on the level part.

Wheelchairs are to be seen in profusion on the promenade, but beware of going out downwind on blustery days. The wind on the way back can be quite something if you are pushing a pram or a wheelchair.

Mentioned in this post
Llandudno
Llandudno
Conwy County, UK
Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,970 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

Have you considered hiring a mobility scooter for your Mother ?

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,970 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

Here is a bit of info that may help you .

www.disabledholidayinfo.org.uk/llandudno.htm

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

Hiring a Mobility Scooter would be a very good idea. I hired a Wheel Chair from Abergele Mobility, in Llandudno they operate from a shop in the Street to the side of the Queens Hotel.

Lifestyle Mobility

14,Clonmel Street

Llandudno

LL30 2LE.

I found this Company to be very helpful, they even offered to deliver and to collect the Chair from the Hotel after use.

info@abergele-mobility.co.uk

01745 827990

Edited: 31 March 2015, 21:42
Mentioned in this post
Llandudno
Llandudno
Conwy County, UK
The Queens Hotel
The Queens Hotel
497 Reviews
Llandudno, UK
9. Re: Pushing a wheelchair around Llandudno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2016, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Llandudno
Recent Conversations