We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel by train from Welwyn North to Windsor

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
45 posts
42 reviews
110 helpful votes
Travel by train from Welwyn North to Windsor
Save

Good evening everyone!

At the end of four days of studying in Wales, I plan to spend a couple of days with relatives before flying out from Heathrow back to Canada on September 17th. I will be staying with my husband's relatives in Welwyn (not Welwyn Garden City) and have two questions about travel.

On Friday I need to travel to London to pick up books (can't get them in Canada and the shipping from Britain will cost a fortune). Would I be better off booking return tickets ahead or just buying them at the station?

On Saturday I will be leaving my relatives in Welwyn and travelling to Windsor to spend the night before I fly out from Heathrow. Again would I be better off booking tickets ahead or purchasing them at the Welwyn station. I note that I can't do the "fast ticket" at Welwyn so if I do order ahead, I would need to have them sent to my rellies and hopefully they will be there when I get there.

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Allison

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
31 helpful votes
1. Re: Travel by train from Welwyn North to Windsor
Save

Allison: Usually the further out you buy train tickets, the cheaper they are. But I just checked on http://nationalrail.co.uk for the trip to London and the cheap day return (leave after 9:30) is £8.50, which "you can buy in advance or at the station on the day you travel." I would figure you can get a cheap day single for Windsor, too.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
45 posts
42 reviews
110 helpful votes
2. Re: Travel by train from Welwyn North to Windsor
Save

Thanks Lee. Much appreciate your wisdom. I've printed off my boarding passes for tomorrow's flights to England as well as train confirmations. Just have to finish packing the little things tomorrow morning before heading off to church and then the airport. It will definitely be an interesting week, full of information and new experiences in travelling. I'll let you know how it goes on Friday and Saturday with travelling on the trains without advance tickets.

Allison

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Travel by train from Welwyn North to Windsor
Save

Allison: Have a fun time!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
4. Re: Travel by train from Welwyn North to Windsor
Save

In UK advance purchase rail tickets are sold primarily for longer journeys; they are rarely available for shorter trips including those in and around the London area. Advance purchase tickets don't apply to a Welwyn North / Windsor journey.

The faster route is via Kings Cross, Undergound and Paddington, around 2hrs on average. Cheap day return (which includes the underground) is £12.60 available on 0947 hrs and subsequent departures. Otherwise fare is £19.80. The cheap day return will, however give you a full afternoon at Windsor and looks good value. More info re journey options between London and Windsor here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k782235-Travel_to_Windsor_question-London_England.html

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
45 posts
42 reviews
110 helpful votes
5. Re: Travel by train from Welwyn North to Windsor
Save

Good evening all!

Made it back from Cardiff and Windsor and my luggage made it back at the same time as I did (it didn't arrive at Heathrow at the same time as I did on the 11th). I didn't purchase a ticket in advance and found that when you have a heavy case, and two other pieces of hand-luggage, there was no place in standard class to place it. Next time I'll buy first class which I note can be purchased ahead of time, even though the cheap day single was 12.60 pounds. The first class ticket was a little more expensive but having my case at my feet and trying to hold the other two bags while getting crowded by three other people was not my idea of fun. However, live and learn. Next time, I'll know better.

Thanks for the pearls of wisdom. I really did enjoy the tour of Windsor Castle and enjoyed learning the history of the castle and seeing the paintings by the Masters. What a treasure.

Allison

6. Re: Travel by train from Welwyn North to Windsor

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Welwyn Garden City
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.