We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux.... then what?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bordeaux.... then what?

My husband and I plan to celebrate our anniversary with a 3-4 day extension after a conference in Bordeaux. We will pick up a rental car in Bordeaux and fly back home out of CDG.

1.) What sites would you recommend for a relaxing 3-day taste of the French countryside?

2.) We want to avoid stress of driving near Paris. Is it crazy to return the car at CDG? If not, where should be stay on our final night where we could return a rental car but still get to CDG for a 10:30 am flight?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

6 replies to this topic
Dublin
Level Contributor
5 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bordeaux.... then what?

Saint Emilion is worth a day visit with the town and associated tours in the vineyards for day 1, then for day 2 you could head north towards Paris as it is a 7 hr drive and pick a stop off point there. Maddness to include a 7 hr drive on a 3 day trip but there ya go.

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bordeaux.... then what?

Not much to do from Bordeaux to Paris if you only have 3 days... Halfway is the Creuse region which is nice countryside but nothing spectacular. I've heard good things about Bourges but never stopped there.

What I would do if I were you is drive from Bordeaux to the Dordogne, visit Sarlat, Rocamadour, Saint Cirq Lapopie, Collonges la Rouge, those types of places, and drive back to Bordeaux. Then just take a flight or train to CDG airport.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bordeaux.... then what?

Thank you for the recommendations, NicolasB. We will take your advice and explore Dordogne -- possibly stay in a B&B or hotel before returning the car to Bordeaux. We welcome any additional recommendations for accommodations, restaurants, sites, etc. We plan to visit the Prehistory museum... is it troublesome to get tickets to visit actual caves?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bordeaux.... then what?

I would explore the area around Bordeaux and take a direct train from Bordeaux to CDG the evening before the flight. Stay at an hotel on the airport and not near it. Trains can be booked at www.trainline.eu or www.oui.sncf/en

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bordeaux.... then what?

I agree about the need to be at an airport hotel on the evening before your flight.

You could visit the Entre-deux-Mers area, which is near Bordeaux and has pretty undulating countryside, 'bastide' villages, and chateaux to explore. Then, as said, hand in your rental car and take the train to CDG

For more info see this website, which has an English version:

https://www.entredeuxmers.com/

Edited: 14 June 2018, 16:29
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bordeaux.... then what?

St. Emilion is a beautiful day trip away from Bordeaux. There are dozens of chateaus out there that offer tastings for all budgets. You can learn about it here. https:/…

Reply to: Bordeaux.... then what?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gironde