We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arezzo - Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery ?

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Arezzo - Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery ?

Hi...I`m visiting a relative`s grave in the cemetery near to Arezzo...I believe it is in Indicatore...can anybody tell me if there are any guest houses/bed + break/hotels nearby please ? I`ll just be staying for one night...am coming to Arezzo from Siena...will probably be looking to head off to Florence afterwards so would prefer somewhere easy to travel to and from as this visit I shall be on foot !!

Hope you may be able to help,

Steve.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arezzo - Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery ?

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Pratantico~indicatore--Italy?type=bnb#

Steve, Airbnb have some listed on their site. But if you are on foot (or taking the bus) why not stay in central Arezzo closer to the station and just go out on the bus to Indicatore and back on a day trip? Arezzo is a lovely town whereas the cemetery is out in the suburbs. Alternatively, doesn’t the CWGC website mention anything about where to stay? As with all of them no matter where in the world, the cemetery is a very moving place, mainly casualties from the extremely fierce fighting in and around the town (much of which was flattened) and the Val di Chiana in spring / summer ‘44, I think it's formally referred to as a battlefield cemetery. As well as Brits, there are Anzacs and quite a few soldiers from the British Indian Army buried here, something I always find especially distressing. Few visitors to this region are aware of the enormous hardship endured by the allied armies liberating this part of the continent and the huge casualties they suffered. Do you know much about your relative and how he came to be here? The only family member we have who came through here with the British Army that year had spent the first part of his war fighting his way through the western desert across North Africa. He survived the fighting in Italy but later died of complications related to sand he’d ingested in his lungs in Africa. I sometimes moan when we get lost trying to find this particular cemetery but as soon as I see those long lines of white tombstones I am instantly humbled. There’s nowhere quite like it for putting your life fully in perspective.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arezzo - Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery ?

Thanks for your reply "lastraniera",

The relative I have in the cemetery in Arezzo was killed on 22/7/44 in the fighting there but I know nothing else really.I do know that he also,as your relative, was in the North African deserts for several years only to be killed later in Arezzo...there are small pieces of information (Army documents) at my mother`s home telling of incidents such as how he carried a wounded comrade on his back for 3 days in the desert and being lost in the desert and other such things that make me wonder at how cruel it is that many people went through so much hardship for years and were still asked to carry on...from speaking to my family I don`t believe his grave has ever been visited although it is possible...he was an elder brother of my maternal grandmother.I`ve visited several war graves around europe from both the first and second world wars from both sides of my family..aside from being good reasons for a trip in europe I just feel it is something I should do...I have no military background and nor is there in any of my immediate family but during there wars many members of my family were called to serve in all 3 services.Most survived but they too are all gone now and so there`s nobody left to ask about the events they saw and went through.I`m very glad to have missed it all !

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arezzo - Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery ?

ps...by the way...the airbnb is a great link...I found a place to stay for several nights within a very short space of time...I had no idea such a group existed...thank you very much.

Steve.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,891 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arezzo - Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery ?

Steve, delighted you have found somewhere to stay. Airbnb is an invaluable resource for good value accommodation, it's very popular in the UK too, I have friends in London and Bath who rent out rooms this way. And thank you so much for sharing your relative's experience in Italy, so he too was in the 8th Army in north Africa? So many of the British forces later involved in the liberation of this country were, I think most in fact. It's incredible, if not impossible, to think so many young men spent three years fighting across north Africa, then invaded Italy and fought their way north. There are several other CWGC cemeteries in this area, the largest being in Florence, the most beautiful being right on the shores of Lago di Bolsena just over the border in Lazio. Our nearest is a tiny little battlefield cemetery in Foiano where we always lay flowers on Armistice Day. We owe these people our lives (through our parents, grandparents), our freedom, everything and it's right they should be remembered. On a happier note, enjoy your trip!

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arezzo - Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery ?

Hi lastraniera...yes,he was with the 8th Army in north Africa...he was 33 years old when killed in Arezzo...I have been to several CWGC cemeteries around Europe and I have always found them to be very well kept,peaceful and some of them,even beautiful...walking through them reveals how young all of them were and as you say,many were far from home and have probably never had any family member visit their grave due to distance....thanks for your thoughts...and,yes,I`m sure I`ll enjoy my trip...it`s currently raining heavily here in London and quite cold (isn`t it always !)...I can hardly wait to get away !

Regards...Steve.

6. Re: Arezzo - Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2016, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Arezzo