We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting around

Toronto
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
getting around

i am planning a trip with my parents who are in their 70's and will remain after i leave. How easy is it to get around using Castiglione dela Pescaia as a base. They want easy access to the beach, but also to be able to do day trips to surrounding towns, even may be to Sienna, Lucca or other places in Tuscany. How is public transportation.

Looking forward for some information

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Level Contributor
217 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting around

It's not ideal as you're not on a train line: the nearest station is at Grosseto - from there the trains run along the coast. There's almost certainly a bus service between Grosseto and Siena. There are some great places within reach (especially in the Maremma) but I think you'd probably need a hire car to make the most of them.

Mentioned in this post
Grosseto
Grosseto
Province of Grosseto, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,222 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting around

It's far from ideal. It's 40 minutes to Grosseto station on the bus, and there aren't too many buses, though there are probably rather more in summer. From there it's at least 1h 20 to Siena, and not too many trains. And at least 1h 45 to Lucca with a change in Pisa, and often longer.

There are also a few buses northwards to Follonica taking 25 minutes. From there it's two hours to Lucca, as the fastest trains don't stop at Follonica.

Mentioned in this post
Grosseto
Grosseto
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Follonica
Follonica
3. Re: getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2016, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Castiglione Della...