We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
38 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

Forgive me another "how do i get there?" question.

Taking the train from Rome to Salerno and I understand I can take the ferry to Positano, but are there taxis I can take instead? Just don't really want to wrestle with suitcases on the ferry and up to my hotel. Been reading lots on TA and have yet to see anyone talk about taxis from the station. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,949 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

If you are thinking of a taxi or car service, you should take the train to Naples instead - it will be shorter trip.

You could take a taxi outside of the Naples train station but I would suggest you consider a car service instead which will pick you up inside, meet you at the end of your train platform and whisk you away in a much nicer car than a taxi - cost would be about 100-110 (some even a bit higher) euros.

A regular taxi would run 120 euros from Naples to Positano - which, a car service might as well but, again, a better car, drivers who can usually give you some info about the area as you drive - just all around nicer than an official taxi.

It would take about 1.5 hours from Naples to reach Positano.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 02:14
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

Depending on the location of your hotel, you may have to wrestle with your suitcase up to your hotel whether you take a taxi or the ferry.

At the ferry dock in Positano there are porters you can hire to take your luggage up to your hotel.

But I agree with MC, if you don't want to take the ferry, then you should train to Naples. In June, the taxi fare from Naples airport to Positano was 135 euros. It might be slightly cheaper from the Naples train station, but still well worth it to pre-book a driver.

But I would much rather travel by ferry, even with a suitcase.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,949 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

To clarify my comment somewhat - if you were staying in the village of Amalfi, I would say to stick with going to Salerno but if considering a car service or taxi, going to Naples to reach Positano is a shorter/trip as Positano is closer to Naples and the train from Rome to Naples is a shorter train trip than it is to Salerno.

IF taking the ferry - go to Salerno for sure. Do try to pack as light as possible - there are some steep narrow steps up into the train cars, more of a hassle in my opinion with heavy luggage than getting on the ferry.

And, as Engred said - you may want to consider which route (ferry or car) based on where your lodging is located in Positano. If dropped by boat at the ferry and you are staying higher up in the village, you will need to walk up through the pedestrian only portion of the village ("up" being the operative word). There are no roads by the dock in Positano.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

If you don't have particular ambulatory problems, and are able to drag a medium-sized suitcase on wheels along flat asphalted sidewalks, you will find the 800-meter walk from the Salerno train station to the Concordia ferry dock of the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry line to be quite easy and even pleasant. Once in Positano, you can hire the porterage service to bring your luggage to your hotel (or enquire with the hotel if it has a comparable service).

Bear in mind the cost differential:

Ferry boat Salerno to Positano: 12 Euros. The beautiful scenery does not cost extra.

Car service or taxi from Naples to Positano: approx. 120 Euros

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
38 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

Thank you for your replies. I am heartened to know that the walk to the ferry is pleasant and that there are porters available should we need them. My husband and I are young(ish) and fit so we should be able to handle our luggage. Sounds like the train to Salerno then ferry to Positano is the route we will take! Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,949 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

Enjoy! It is a beautiful way to arrive - the view from the sea is stunning.

Schedule: http://www.coopsantandrea.com

Edited: 18 September 2013, 03:03
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

And, if you are hungry after getting off the train, there is a very good ice cream/pastry store at the street corner with the main coastal road (across which is the parking area leading to the ferry dock), nearly half way between the train station and the dock. At the other end of the same street block there is a pizza place. You just need to pay close attention when crossing the road, which is very busy, and not be distracted by the ice cream in your hand (and your luggage in your other hand)!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

Good to know GAC! I can always use some ice cream after the long ferry ride from Pos! :-) I will put that in my trip notes for next year!!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

For the benefit of travellers arriving by train in Salerno and needing to go to Positano:

1. Outside of the scheduled operating hours of the ferry boat; OR

2. From November 1 through March 31 (when the ferry boat is not operating); OR

3. Who MISS the last ferry boat to Positano in the late afternoon:

You can reach Positano by regular SITA bus, departing directly outside the front doors of the Salerno train station, with a required CONNECTION in Amalfi.

Salerno to Amalfi: 75 minutes and 3.80 Euros

Amalfi to Positano: 40 minutes and 2.50 Euros

NOTE: It's often better to purchase the 24-hr. unlimited ride UNICO COSTIERA ticket for 7.60 Euros rather than two single-use bus tickets for this trip. These tickets are sold by the travel agency inside the foyer of the Salerno train station, and must be punched in the stamping machine when boarding the bus. The 24-hr. ticket is valid for 24 hours from the moment it is first punched on the bus (and is not to be punched again).

In Amalfi, the bus-to-bus connection is in the large parking lot next to the sea front: the two buses usually line up within 5-20 yards of each other. Large luggage is stowed in the underfloor compartment of the bus.

Schedules:

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf (Salerno/Amalfi)

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf (Amalfi/Praiano/Positano/Sorrento)

If your destination is Ravello:

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5110.pdf (2.50 Euros extra, unless you have the 24-hr. ticket)

NOTE: You can also reach Positano by surface transportation from Naples instead of from Salerno, by taking the Circumvesuviana commuter rail to Sorrento (65 minutes and 4.10 Euros), connecting to the SITA bus to Positano (60 minutes and 3.80 Euros). The primary advantage of this route is that the train trip from Rome (or cities north) to Naples is shorter (and with greater frequency) than the train trip to Salerno. The primary disadvantage is that the Circumvesuviana rail is often very crowded, and there is no dedicated area on this train for luggage.

Circumvesuviana train:

www.eavcampania.it

eavcampania.it/web/…20viceversa.pdf

NOTE: Owing to reduced bus schedules during the autumn season, the LAST useful bus out of Salerno departs daily at 19:30 (arriving Amalfi at 20:45). This connects to the LAST daily bus from Amalfi at 21:00, arriving Positano at 21:40.

A taxi from Salerno to Positano will cost at least 120 Euros. The two SITA buses cost 6.30 Euros (or 7.60 Euros with the 24-hour ticket). The ferry boat costs 12 Euros and takes 70 minutes.

Ferry boat:

www.coopsantandrea.it

Edited: 18 September 2013, 04:24
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
38 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salerno Train Station--Taxi to Positano

Thanks GAC for that info. Based on the train schedule we *should* arrive in time well before the last ferry. But, it's great to have a contingency plan since *should* often doesn't work out when traveling!