We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

Yesterday we took a 12:30pm-11:30pm summit tour (€70/person) from Lipari to Stromboli (via Panarea) and here are my learnings:

- DO take the trip if you’re fit, healthy and prepared to sweat... a lot. Imagine being on a step machine in a hot gym for 6 hours non-stop. It’s genuinely that tough. If you could do that, then you’ve got what it takes.

- DO take lots of water (minimum 1 litre each) as well as snacks (chocolate, nuts, a cheese roll etc.) to keep your energy levels up. Come well fed as all the food places will be closed by the time you get down.

- DON’T try to get to the top if a) you have heart/lung/knee/ankle problems or b) you’re adverse to hard labour. This ain’t no stroll in the park! We saw quite a few people turn back after less than an hour.

- DON’T try and talk your partner/kids/parents into it if it’s not their thing. They will only resent you for it (and bring you down). Happy hikers only!

- DO take a head torch (or rent one at the base camp) The descent down a long path of deep sand is dark and verrry slip-slidy.

- DON’T wear jeans.

- DON’T wear shoes you want to keep pretty. They will never look the same again.

- DO ask someone else to take a picture of you at the top in front of the eruptions - so much better than a selfie :-)

- DO order a freshly squeezed orange & lemon juice from the first cafe at the bottom (as you exit the alley where you give your torches/helmets back) Honestly the most thirst-quenching drink of my life.

- DO sit on the top deck of the boat that takes you back to Lipari if you like really intense rollercoaster rides.

- DON’T sit on the top deck if you bruise easily!

- DON’T organise anything too strenuous the next day. We could only manage a lazy day soaking our aching bones in the hotel pool, followed by a quick trip to a beach by scooter.

- DO take extra layers. When you set off from the heat of the port, it’s difficult to imagine being cold but it’s really quite chilly up too when the sun goes down.

I hope the above is helpful.

We loved every aspect of the trip - Panarea, the ascent, the eruptions and sunset, the descent, the boat ride... - a truly invigorating and life-affirming day - so I hope the experience is every bit as good for you :-)

7 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
1. Re: Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

Thanks Tim B!

For sure Stromboli is a strenuous trek on a very active volcano, and only for the fit.

What company did you trek with?

Vagabonda

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2. Re: Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
3. Re: Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

Pity Tim B never returned to indicate the company or submit a review!

Vagabonda

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
4. Re: Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

Ah so fab to read about recent experiences. I went with my dad when I was 12 and he was 33. (1985). We slept on the beach the first night and I don't remember the hike being madly strenuous even in my cheap pumps and totally unsensible clothing, hard work in the heat yes, but not of any professional hiking level. We took sleeping bags and slept on the top watching the eruptions, woken up by a carpet of crickets in the morning. There weren't that many tourists, it was the highlight of my childhoood and I've always wanted to go back and retrace our steps.

It sounds like it's very different now in terms of the hike and tourism on Stromboli....?

Aeolian Islands...
Level Contributor
339 posts
5. Re: Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

ella g,

thank you for sharing, what a wonderful memory. Yes, the island of Stromboli is more developed now and the hike to the crater is allowed only with a professional guide (and without the possibility to sleep on top).

Ciao

Cristian

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

I appreciate tour advice- heading there today!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
7. Re: Stromboli Advice from Me to You...

Hi m0sue,

Contact Magmatrek.

https://magmatrek.it/

Vagabonda

Reply to: Stromboli Advice from Me to You...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stromboli