We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for stromboli

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
552 posts
4 reviews
Clothing for stromboli

Hi all

Do you need to dress for night trip to Stromboli in the same way as for Etna? We have very warm clothing for this but I wasn’t sure if you need the same number of layers for Stromboli? Understand it can get cold but ski jacket cold?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Aeolian Islands...
Level Contributor
339 posts
1. Re: Clothing for stromboli

meijunhappy,

If you are planning to hike Stromboli this summer, bring a few layers including a fleece/sweater, and a wind jacket. Find more information on the websites of the companies that offer the guided tours.

Ciao

Cristian

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,767 posts
2. Re: Clothing for stromboli

Yes, and multiple tees, and for sure sturdy trekkers.

http://magmatrek.it/en/equipment/

And water!!!

Vagabonda

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
3. Re: Clothing for stromboli

When I trekked years ago the guide service had clothing and equipment for rent The windproof jacket was particularly useful!. And I was glsd to have poles for the hike down. We brought our own fleece jackets.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,767 posts
4. Re: Clothing for stromboli

Not to expect that all guides will supply these items.

Either bring on your own, or rent from Totem.

http://totemtrekkingstromboli.com/rental/

Just arrive for the trek prepared to maximise your experience.

Vagabonda

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
209 reviews
5. Re: Clothing for stromboli

I was just there but the weather prevented summiting alas.

However I went up to the highest point you can go without a guide (twice actually on the same day).

I wore a short-sleeve shirt and long pants because the brush can be sharp and prickly. As the sun went down, I put on my long sleeve shirt, my fleece and my rain jacket! It was windy more than anything else.

In case you didn't know, you can walk quite far up past the observatory without a guide. It's steep and rocky with sliding dirt the higher you go. Also: the lava spurts are very very short. Tough to photograph from a distance.

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
6. Re: Clothing for stromboli

Stromboli has a lower elevation but the summit area is very windy so you'll need windporoof clothes.

If you are going in the middle of the summer a fleece and a windproof shell/jacket should be ok.

For the shoulder season I would add a warm layer, gloves and a warm hat (gloves and hat can be useful even in summer but not critical).

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
7. Re: Clothing for stromboli

Yes Vagabonda, to be more precise, we did not rent directly from the guide service, but they did refer us to a rental place nearby for clothing (including hiking boots which I didn't want to deal with in luggage)

NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Clothing for stromboli

Went up a week ago. Guides supplied everything. There places with stuff for rent every few meters.

It was cold on top but not terribly, a fleece and a wind jacket is enough. I had just a t-shirt and a windbreaker, was cold but nod bad for the hour on top

Reply to: Clothing for stromboli
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stromboli