We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

I'm very fit for my age and willing to sweat but I'm 75 and my knees are not fond of descents, especially the idea of coming down in the dark. I shall be on Stromboli from 1st September, leaving on the 6th and have not yet booked an ascent. Should I make do with the observation spots at 260 and 400 metres?

8 replies to this topic
hampshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Hiya, we just came back from Stromboli. We are a family of 5 with kids aged 7 to 12. We took a boat the first night and then did the trek to the 260 metres this morning. The boat was great to see the amazing volcano but we did the see the trekkers making their way down which looked exhausting. We did the viewpoint walk and the path is easy up to 260 and the view was great. In hindsight, would suggest walking to the viewpoint at night and not bothering with the boat. I guess being above the volcano with the trek gets you even closer to the action and I.m sure it's amazing but I would still go with the viewpoint at night for the time/hassle. PS, the walk gets difficult and uneven after the 260m mark and again, I'm not sure if the additional difficult 100m is worth it. Enjoy- it's an amazing experience!

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Thank you for that.

I think I've pretty well convinced myself the top is not worth the effort - bearing in mind the fact that there is no guarantee that the volcano will perform, or not be hidden by clouds or mist during the one hour one is allowed to stop at the top!

A painful slip or even a twisted ankle on the way back is not beyond the bounds of possibility and it would be at the start of a fortnights' holiday!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,732 posts
3. Re: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Welcome to Sicily cgrime!

If your knees are not fond of descents, and with the descent in the dark, you've made the correct decision to view from the observation spots where you can walk independently.

The guides keep a pace you would probably find grueling.

The guides can also deny the excursion if deemed unfit.

http://magmatrek.it/en/excursions/

For safety reasons the guide reserves the right to cancel the excursion at any time owing to weather conditions, inadequate equipment or the physical condition of individual participants.

Perhaps reconsider so much time on Stromboli.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,732 posts
4. Re: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Thanks for your report hibrow.

Vagabonda

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Thanks for your reply, Vagabonda.

I have to say I'm impressed by the effort you put into helping visitors to Italy.

We have pre-booked our stay on Stromboli and shall be moving on to Lipari and then Tropea - two places we know and love.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,732 posts
6. Re: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Thank you for such kind words cgrime.

Perhaps consider a visit to Salina or Panarea, a boat around Stromboli, time on a black sand beach, and then your independent walk to the observation deck.

You might enjoy a boat at night, but also consider day boat trips to Strombolicchio or Ginostra

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday!

Vagabonda

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Thank you !

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,732 posts
8. Re: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?

Prego e buon viaggio cgrime!

Vagabonda

Reply to: Stromboli - hike to top or just go to observation area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stromboli