We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pienza to Sulmona Route Options

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Pienza to Sulmona Route Options

My husband and I are going to be driving from Pienza to Sulmona and I have a question about possible routes. I was wondering if the longer, less direct route east through Perugia to the Adriatic coast on SS77 and then south on A14 before heading back inland would be more scenic or interesting than just heading south on A1 towards Rome before taking A24/25 east. The route along the coast appears to add about an hour to the drive time. We enjoy being outside so we'll likely look to find something interesting along the way rather than just drive straight through. We'll be visiting the national and regional parks during our stay in Sulmona and then finishing our trip with a week in Rome. In addition to the appeal factor, I'd appreciate any thoughts on increased traffic, road conditions, ease of navigation, etc. If the coastal route is preferred, is there a section of SS16 that is particularly scenic or would warrant hopping off A14 to be closer to the coast? Thinking more along the lines of a walk in a nature preserve or historic site. Likewise, if the direct route towards Rome is preferred, ideas for a scenic detour along the way? Happy to entertain other routes also as long as they wouldn't add significant time to drive.

1 reply
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pienza to Sulmona Route Options

It will not be wise to take Adriatic coastal route as it's much looooonger and it is not particularly scenic.

Reply to: Pienza to Sulmona Route Options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sulmona